Question HDD Health Evaluation - Strange Noises

Dec 7, 2020
Hello

My Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD is making clicking and scratching noises.
They are much less severe than the samples I've found online; so I am sharing them here:

Clicking
Clicking and Scratching

(note: the final loud click is just my mouse)

It has been in use since 2016. (17,000 hours on time)
It became much slower (compared to new) around 3 months after purchase, I've always assumed it's due to low free space.

IIRC the noises started after windows had a blue screen error, it launched back up and has worked properly ever since; no data corruption whatsoever.
Not sure exactly how long ago this was, could've been from 5 months ago to possibly a year and some.

Unsure if related, but there is a history of data corruption in late 2018,
A whole partition drive (~500 GB) became corrupted after the 3rd party wizard crashed in the middle of a resizing operation.

Here's a recent UserBenchmark result

I have checked the hard drive's health using several applications (eg HDDScan); always 100% healthy.

This is from Defraggler

The noise is sometimes very strong, but rather quiet or non-existent half the time.

(Could not capture it on audio; imagine the same noises as the audio I have, but much more prominent than the fan sound.)

The case panel rattles/vibrates around the HDD, especially when the noise is strong; so I assume the HDD does as well.

So, my question is:
How long can this HDD last? Is it dying, or is it just a minor issue?

I would've immediately replaced it if it wasn't for the rather steep prices in my country (3-4 months of saving), so I'm making sure if/when buying a new HDD will be necessary.

Edit:
System boot up and turn off also have rather strange noises. The sound has delayed system shutdown to take almost 40 seconds.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020
Checked it with seatools, all tests passed.

It's been making the noises for about 3 to 4 months, and hasn't had any data corruption or bad sectors yet.
It appears to be so healthy that HDSentinel says it has 1000 days of life remaining, somehow.

I'm planning to replace, but I need to know if it's going to last until I can save up for a new HDD.