HDD: Help with two options Hitachi vs Seagate

Jan 12, 2019
Hey guys, what would you recommend?

Seagate St2000dm006 OR Hitachi Hua723020ala64

Both are with a similar price in a store nearby and WD are too expensive in my country.

I have a SSD for my OS and now I need a secondary drive for my games and movies since I use Plex a lot.

I know that Seagate's model has more writing/reading numbers (https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Hitachi-HUA723020ALA641-2TB-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-2TB-2016/m11019vs3897)

But I also know the bad reputation of Seagate's HDs in reliability.

Also Hitachi's drive is an enterprise model, I don't know if that's good or not in my case.

PS: There's also a WD Blue Wd20ezr, but it's only 5400 rpm

Considering the models, what would be a better choice?
The speed difference is noticeable between Seagate's and Hitachi's? What about the WD Blue?

Thx!

RealBeast

Titan
While that Seagate model has no particular issues, I have used dozens of the Hitachi HUA723020ALA64 as single drives and in RAID arrays and just based on my good experience would select it at the same price. 7200rpm drives are pretty much always faster, although not necessarily by a huge margin when just used for backup.

Both of your prime candidate models have 5 year warranty periods, which is a plus.

In any case with any drive always back up your data.

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for your answer!
I hadnt really thought about warranty but unfortunately only Seagate has an oficcial suport available here in Brasil and its only 2 years, I dont think any of them will let me down before that.

Glad to hear someone’s experience about those drives since I have none, so I think I’ll stick with the Hitachi, thanks.