[SOLVED] HDD in Bios but not in Windows Setup

rangafromtonga

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to install Windows and have already come across my first problem. My 1tb hdd is being displayed in the bios, so it must be working, but when i get to the partitions screen of the windows installer, the drive is not listed.

Any ideas? Have tried different ports, switching from AHCI to RAID, other things.

Solution
Make sure the motherboard Sata ports are in AHCI mode in the bios and is enabled but Hot-plug should be off.
Make sure you have both power and Sata cables connected to the HDD. Power come from the power supply and Sata connects down to a matching Sata port on the motherboard. (Sorry but we have had people miss the basics so its best to cover this)

Lutfij

Titan
RAID will not bring about anything unless you're trying to perform a RAID array. You should ideally be on AHCI. Now, can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Did you create the installer for Windows 10, using Windows Media Creation Tools?

rangafromtonga

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
RAID will not bring about anything unless you're trying to perform a RAID array. You should ideally be on AHCI. Now, can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Did you create the installer for Windows 10, using Windows Media Creation Tools?

As said, i merely tried Raid.
Specs are as follows:

CPU: ryzen 3 1200
Motherboard: asus b450m-k
Ram: hyperx fury 1x8gb 2666mhz
SSD/HDD: 1tb seagate barracuda
GPU: gtx 780 ghz edition
PSU: corsair gs600
Chassis: idk

popatim

Titan
On the "Where to install' screen, click the Drive Option link and see if the drive is listed there.
If it is then delete all the partitions* and then click NEXT.

*This assumes you have nothing you need on the HDD, everything will be wiped when you do this. Chances of recovering anything will be low. So if you need anything on the HDD then make a backup of it first.

rangafromtonga

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
On the "Where to install' screen, click the Drive Option link and see if the drive is listed there.
If it is then delete all the partitions* and then click NEXT.

*This assumes you have nothing you need on the HDD, everything will be wiped when you do this. Chances of recovering anything will be low. So if you need anything on the HDD then make a backup of it first.

Unfortunately thats what my problem is. Tried deleting the random 8gb partition but it mustve been my usb or something. No hard drive listed amongst that page. Even when trying to refresh and make new partitions, etc.

popatim

Titan
Make sure the motherboard Sata ports are in AHCI mode in the bios and is enabled but Hot-plug should be off.
Make sure you have both power and Sata cables connected to the HDD. Power come from the power supply and Sata connects down to a matching Sata port on the motherboard. (Sorry but we have had people miss the basics so its best to cover this)

Solution

rangafromtonga

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017

All good. Definitely not a problem im having because it shows up working in bios.