HDD in brand new laptop causing stutter?

G

I'm really worried now. I got a new Gigabyte P55G gaming laptop and it's less than a day old. I downloaded Depth onto the HDD and i noticed that sometimes the game will "hitch" or freeze for a split second when something really intense is going on, otherwise my frame rate is fine. I moved Depth to my nVme m.2 ssd that it also has, same settings and no hitching. I'm really upset because I heard this can mean a bad HDD but I literally just bought this laptop...

Can anyone help with this?

Solution
Hey there, Darkfire_5.

It could also mean a bad SATA port and/or cable. Even if it's a new computer, these things happens sometimes, but in order to see if this is the case, you'll need to test the drive by downloading it's manufacturer's diagnostic tool and running the tests. If you don't know the manufacturer of the drive, you can pick a 3rd party diagnostic tool from this article: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.

Another way to test the HDD and see if the same issues occur, is to take it out of the laptop and use it with a different computer to see what happens. However, I don't know if that voids the warranty of the laptop, so you should get in touch with the vendor you got it from, to...
Hey there, Darkfire_5.

It could also mean a bad SATA port and/or cable. Even if it's a new computer, these things happens sometimes, but in order to see if this is the case, you'll need to test the drive by downloading it's manufacturer's diagnostic tool and running the tests. If you don't know the manufacturer of the drive, you can pick a 3rd party diagnostic tool from this article: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.

Another way to test the HDD and see if the same issues occur, is to take it out of the laptop and use it with a different computer to see what happens. However, I don't know if that voids the warranty of the laptop, so you should get in touch with the vendor you got it from, to see if you are allowed to do that.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution
G

Hi,
I can't get into the laptop to test that kind of thing at all, and I can't risk voiding my warranty, so I took it back to the shop and they listened and they think it is a hard drive issue but they're going to test it and probably replace it