HDD (in use, not new) suddenly goes 'unknown device' and 'not initialized'

Yarradras

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hey everybody

My Windows 10 or my HDD have a problem. Or maybe the have a problem together.

My Windows 10 runs on SSD and I run two identical Seagate HDDs for additional storage. They all worked fine till today when one of them out of the sudden is not accessible anymore.

In the device manager it's only shown as unknown device and when opened up the details it says in the event tab:
-- Device not migrated
Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&15ad2e1c&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_Flash_Disk&Rev_8.07\9AA0F4FE&0
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF130
Present: false

Something that is quite weird to me is the last device instance id. Why does it say USBSTOR? It's an internal drive connected over SATA, nothing to do with USB!

When I call up the Disk Management it prompts my directly if I want to intialize Disk 1. Of course I don't want to. I hope there is still some data on it (it's all programmes and games, nothing that can't be reinstalled or I hang onto). It is just shown as Disk 1 - unknown - not intialized.

Now I took that Desktop out of my pantry yesterday after 6 months of not using it. So a lot of Windows updates went through. Apparently Win updates can lead to problems with drivers that can cause this migration error. But the hard drive worked at first after all the updates. Only today it started spooking. Also, the other HDD which is the same model and same driver runs perfectly fine.

Something else, that might be notable. As I have it in my bedroom, I turn it off for the night (meaning I pull the plug, so also the LED on the motherboard power button is off). Of course I shut down the PC first. So that should not be an issue... right?

What I did so far:
- Restart computer
- Uninstalling Device and restart computer
- Run System File Checker (SFC) (nothing detected)

Somebody has an idea what I could try next?

Solution
The "no migration due to ambiguous... " is not a performance problem but a windows enumeration "issue" as you can determine yourself.One drive still works even though it is saddled with that event. Up until this latest windows upgrade, I had two such mis enumerations but they are gone now as windows has fixed the issue for my drives in any case.

Obviously tho you do have a dead drive so just replace it. You indicate an intent to format so give that a try but also prepare to contact the undertaker.

Yarradras

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks for the tip, just did that. Sadly did not solve the problem.

As I did not know which of the two HDDs is the one that does not get recognized I moved both of them onto different ports. Now both HDDs get the event message "Device was not migrated" while one works perfectly fine and the other is still not seen. :-/

Is there some other thing that might still be hopeful? Or should I just go and reformat it and see if that makes at least the drive usable again?

EDIT: Just had a look into the BIOS. There only one HDD is shown. What does it mean that my BIOS does not recognize the drive, but Windows for some reason sees it (though can't use it)?

The "no migration due to ambiguous... " is not a performance problem but a windows enumeration "issue" as you can determine yourself.One drive still works even though it is saddled with that event. Up until this latest windows upgrade, I had two such mis enumerations but they are gone now as windows has fixed the issue for my drives in any case.

Obviously tho you do have a dead drive so just replace it. You indicate an intent to format so give that a try but also prepare to contact the undertaker.

Solution

Yarradras

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Just went on to format it, but could not even format it. Get an error message that says "Virtual Disk Manager: The System cannot find the file specified".

And there it goes. Thanks for all the help.