Question HDD - Infrequent clicking noise

Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

Since the start of using my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, my 1TB Toshiba HDD has made infrequent clicking noises, this happens even when at idle.
The temperatures are fine, I've checked the health of my HDD and everything else including CPU, SATA cable condition, RAM, etc. All good, no signs of errors whatsoever.

The clicks happens maybe once a day, every 3 hours, 1 hour, 30 minutes or 15 minutes. It is a brief momentary and quiet click.

Is this normal for HDD?

Mar 26, 2021
Noises may be normal.
New noises are rarely normal.

Either way...what is your overall backup plan for the data on this drive?
Physical drive fail is NOT the only means of data loss.
Yep, my stuff is always backed up to one drive so I have no worries over whether the HDD fails at any time.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Yep, my stuff is always backed up to one drive so I have no worries over whether the HDD fails at any time.
"my stuff".

You can definitively state 100% of any critical data exists in your OneDrive space?

In the event of your C drive dying (or ransomware/virus/etc)...how will you recover THAT?
All the username/passwords/installed software, etc, etc, etc.

jay32267

Glorious
Here's a suggestion.
Get some cloning software...and make an image of your boot drive on occasion and store it somewhere else. This way you have all the data from the entire drive locally....and you can recreate the boot drive whenever you want.

Mar 26, 2021
"my stuff".

You can definitively state 100% of any critical data exists in your OneDrive space?

In the event of your C drive dying (or ransomware/virus/etc)...how will you recover THAT?
All the username/passwords/installed software, etc, etc, etc.
I don't really care for any of that, all my passwords are saved in microsoft edge account on browser and although it's a pain I'd just reinstall everything on a new SSD.

Mar 26, 2021
Here's a suggestion.
Get some cloning software...and make an image of your boot drive on occasion and store it somewhere else. This way you have all the data from the entire drive locally....and you can recreate the boot drive whenever you want.
I'm on laptop and only have one SATA cable, wouldn't I have to get an adapter or USB to do this?

Mar 26, 2021
We've discussed backups before.
How are you doing it now?
Not planning on cloning, I haven't had another BSOD yet but if I do it will mess up windows installation so I don't want it to transfer to the new SSD. All the files I need are uploaded to Microsoft Onedrive.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS