Question HDD is being detected as 0.0mb

chamkeyd

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
Hi All

My HDD is being detected as 0.0mb under the SATA information on my UEFI but under the boot priority menu it detects it as 2097152MB.
What this means for me is that I cannot install windows.

Is there a problem with the drive? Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to RMA (dreading this option as I just had to RMA my board and it was a nightmare getting it back)?

I would upload an image but unfortunately it keeps telling me that something went wrong.

chamkeyd

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
What parts do you have?
What hard drive do you have?
You might want to try a bios update.
Do you have other hard drives to see if it's just the one harddrive or if it's your motherboard?
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
CPU: RYZEN 5 2400G
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB
HDD: WD Blue 2TB.
The BIOS is on the latest version 4207.

I did use my 500GB drive earlier (Also a WD Blue) to load windows onto a USB flash drive. It worked fine.

Last edited:
under the boot priority menu it detects it as 2097152MB.
What this means for me is that I cannot install windows.
This says you have a 2 TB which is correct. Seems like you are confusing drive's capacity and drive's space left, which sounds like zero.

If you don't care what's in this drive and simply want to install fresh OS on top, during installation, you DELETE ALL active partitions and then u will have a clean 2 TB to install.

chamkeyd

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
This says you have a 2 TB which is correct. Seems like you are confusing drive's capacity and drive's space left, which sounds like zero.

If you don't care what's in this drive and simply want to install fresh OS on top, during installation, you DELETE ALL active partitions and then u will have a clean 2 TB to install.
It's a brand new drive... there are no partitions... it doesn't even show up in windows when using an enclosure...
I already did diskpart and then list volumes... it only shows the USB from which I'm installing windows.
The only place that I'm getting a valid detection is in the boot priority menu. Everywhere else is messed up