Question HDD is causing fps drops.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Is it possible for my Hard drive to cause fps drops. I get the drops then I go in to task manager and I see the huge spike. I always have task manager open. I have the Toshiba DT01ACA100 1tb Hard Drive It is very annoying because It makes my games just unplayable. Is there anyway I can fix this or am I going to have a to but a new one or an SSD but I don't know how to do all that stuff. The only thing I know how to replace is RAM. Btw I have the Ryzen 5 3500, NVidia GTX 1660 ti, and 16gb of ram 3200mhz.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it continues to read and write so it never stays at 0% it keeps having a 3 sec break then it keep having little spikes>

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Add an SSD as boot drive. The hdd will upload the game to the ssd cache which is part of windows access, so will use that as the game plays. As you have it now, when the game needs to show a 'gun' it has to search the hdd for the 'gun' file. If it's a bunch of background changes and objects, that can take a second, and fps nose-dives temporarily.

Basically your cpu/gpu is strong enough to run the game well, but the hdd is not.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Is it possible for my Hard drive to cause fps drops. I get the drops then I go in to task manager and I see the huge spike. I always have task manager open. I have the Toshiba DT01ACA100 1tb Hard Drive It is very annoying because It makes my games just unplayable. Is there anyway I can fix this or am I going to have a to but a new one or an SSD but I don't know how to do all that stuff. The only thing I know how to replace is RAM. Btw I have the Ryzen 5 3500, NVidia GTX 1660 ti, and 16gb of ram 3200mhz
Add an SSD as boot drive. The hdd will upload the game to the ssd cache which is part of windows access, so will use that as the game plays. As you have it now, when the game needs to show a 'gun' it has to search the hdd for the 'gun' file. If it's a bunch of background changes and objects, that can take a second, and fps nose-dives temporarily.

Basically your cpu/gpu is strong enough to run the game well, but the hdd is not.
I don't know how to add an ssd and make it the boot drive and will I still be able to keep my data and the hdd?

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I had my pc since August. It is an HP Custom-To-Order. I have been getting random fps drops since September and it is making me frustrated. I had 8gb of ram then I bought a kit with 2 DDR4 3200 (2x8). I defragged my HDD, I disabled SuperFetch and Sysmain. I have no more solutions. I am starting to think that disk spikes are the reason. My specs are Ryzen 5 3500, 1660 ti, 16gb 3200 RAM, Toshiba 1tb DT01ACA100. Is one of those components causing a problem is it my system. I just need a solution because I'm getting frustrated while playing games. I have a 60hz monitor as well. Is that the problem? I get way over 100fps so is it time to get a 165hz or 144hz. Can someone reply please I need answers because I don't want this pc to go to waste when I only had it for 2 months.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
warranty is for fixing issue. you order this custom with hdd(don't know why anyone still get hdd)

so you don't want to do it yourselves and don't want to take it to a shop.
don't know what other option is there

maybe you should just worry about school and not game?
I fixed it anyway so thanks for nothing.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I had my pc since August. It is an HP Custom-To-Order. I have been getting random fps drops since September and it is making me frustrated. I had 8gb of ram then I bought a kit with 2 DDR4 3200 (2x8). I defragged my HDD, I disabled SuperFetch and Sysmain. I have no more solutions. I am starting to think that disk spikes are the reason. My specs are Ryzen 5 3500, 1660 ti, 16gb 3200 RAM, Toshiba 1tb DT01ACA100. Is one of those components causing a problem is it my system. I just need a solution because I'm getting frustrated while playing games. I have a 60hz monitor as well. Is that the problem? I get way over 100fps so is it time to get a 165hz or 144hz. Can someone reply please I need answers because I don't want this pc to go to waste when I only had it for 2 months.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Your system would benefit greatly from an SSD or M.2 solution if your mobo supports the latter. I am not saying it's the cause of your issue.
I have the Hp Erica 8643 Motherboard. It says the expansion slots are
  • One PCIe x16 socket
  • One PCIe x1 socket
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x2)
I was looking on the crucial website and this is an SSD that supports with my system. My system is the Hp Pavilion Gaming TG01-0170m CTO Crucial P2 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I have been playing Mortal Kombat 11 and I get fps about 2-5 fps drops and its noticeable. I there a way that my HDD is causing the problem?
I have a 60hz monitor and people was saying that my GPU (1660 ti) was overpowering my 60hz monitor. I am planning an upgrading soon. My pc is from HP, its an Custom to order. Everytime I get the fps drop I hurry up and go to task manager and I see the spike. I am getting tired of this and it happens on every game I play.

My Specs

Ryzen 5 3500 6-core
Nvidia 1660 ti
16gb 3200mhz
Toshiba DT01ACA100 7200rpm 1tb

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/663/gSbGvU.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
How many partitions do you have on your HDD? I'd advise that you invest in an SSD and get your OS, app's and games on it.

On another note, is the ram set to DDR4-3600MHz in BIOS? Latest BIOS version for your prebuilt?
My ram isn't set to 3600 its set to 3200. I have the hp Erica 8643 motherboard and I opened my case last night and I saw that I have an open M.2 slot for an ssd so I was looking online for an M.2 ssd and I found this

Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD it supports my system because I checked on the crucial website, that is also where I got my ram from. So is tgis good?

TRENDING THREADS