Gaijinsama

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I had one HDD that kept on resetting on and off and on and off, then it would make clicking noises, then it sounded like marbles were banging around, and then it stopped.

I could restart the computer, but it would start happening again at a random time.

I put in a different company model and size, and recently this one has started to restart a lot.

I'm thinking that this isn't a HDD problem, but another problem.

Could it be:

1) Windows?
2) The Cable is defective?
3) Overheating?
4) The Power Supply giving bad power?

If anyone has dealt with this before, and could point me to a solution, I would be greatful.

Gaijinsama

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
symptoms + IBM Drive = dead drive, RMA it

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north <font color=red> AND</font color=red> south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
What kind of drives?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
If you suspect its not the drive for some reason it could be cable or controller on the board. If it is making loud clanking noises however that is almost always teh drive itself. Maybe you got 2 bad one? Not that likely but I have heard of things more strange then that!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Well he said the first one clicked and the second one still restarted...if that's what he meant them i'm thinking the psu killed the first one and is causing the restart problem on the second. Or the first one died on it's own and the psu is failing.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>