Hdd is detected but it's unknown

BabyBell

Reputable
Sep 14, 2016
A few days ago i bought a new hdd (green caviar 2tb) And in disc management when i try to initialize it it says its too small to be GPT. so i tried to go to intel rapid storage and there it says the disc is only 0gb.
please help

Solution
Hello again, @BabyBell!

I'm afraid you got scammed. :( Those grinding noises indicate that there is most probably an internal/physical hardware damage. This means that there is nothing that you can do about this old WD Green. I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with the hardware store where you bought the hard drive from and ask them, if it's possible to RMA the product and get a replacement from them. Otherwise, you should definitely consider buying a new drive.

I'd advise you to always check the warranty and authenticity of the products you buy right away. This is the surest way to avoid such unpleasant situations in the future. You should also keep in mind that we no longer produce the WD Green HDDs as you know them. We have...
Welcome to the community, @BabyBell!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the newly acquired WD Green of yours! :( Unfortunately, your attempts to format the drive definitely sound concerning. I'd strongly recommend running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from our Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool as they will help us determine the health and SMART stats of the drive. You could also try swapping the SATA cable connecting the HDD and check how it will get recognized from a different SATA port on the motherboard. If you have access to another PC, I'd also suggest you attempt to detect the WD Green there.
If the problem is still present, you should definitely get in touch with the reseller to ask for a replacement product right away! Make sure you check your warranty status on our website as well, even after replacing the problematic WD Green.

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. :)
SuperSoph_WD

BabyBell

Reputable
Sep 14, 2016
i tried to run the tests but only error messages comes up

Also i checked the warranty and apparently it run out in 2014? seems like i wont be getting a refund...
I bought this in a hardware store in spain. cost me 55 euros. seems like i got scammed -.-

BabyBell

Reputable
Sep 14, 2016
Also when i boot up the pc it makes loud grinding noises before going silent. (ssd is boot drive) i tried changing ports but no luck. Any hope of atleast making the thing get 2tb instead of 0gb?

Hello again, @BabyBell!

I'm afraid you got scammed. :( Those grinding noises indicate that there is most probably an internal/physical hardware damage. This means that there is nothing that you can do about this old WD Green. I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with the hardware store where you bought the hard drive from and ask them, if it's possible to RMA the product and get a replacement from them. Otherwise, you should definitely consider buying a new drive.

I'd advise you to always check the warranty and authenticity of the products you buy right away. This is the surest way to avoid such unpleasant situations in the future. You should also keep in mind that we no longer produce the WD Green HDDs as you know them. We have merged our mainstream PC products to only the WD Blue family. The previously known as WD Green drives are now the 5,400 RPM-class WD Blue HDDs with capacities up to 6 TB in size. However, product availability is still dependent upon each retailer.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I hope you find a way to replace that drive ASAP.
Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution