[SOLVED] HDD is not detected in bios or unable to load from windows boot manager.

shakilhosen3

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
im using dell latitude 5490. recently this laptop is showing many issues one of is , it took me 4-5hours to transfer around 11gb data to a pendrive and laptop was also performing poorly. so i considered a windows reinstallation. i installed windows and after the installation when it says "computer will restart after 10 sec" pc got restarted but after dell logo "no bootable device found" appeared. i thought that is not an issue all i need to do is changing the boot priority to "windows boot manager" as i do in desktop. but this is where im stuck. in bios no HDD is detected neither in legacy nor in UEFI option but strangely hdd is still being recognized during windows installation process (and also i noticed it is not allowing to create any new partitions).
so please suggest me a possible solution. i also tried plugging and unplugging hdd

Solution
I hate this bug.

What has happened is windows 10 isn't fully installed, it has gotten to its 1st restart, and when its supposed to just boot off the hdd its gone, I don't know what I am doing, and stopped. So The hdd should still show up somewhere in the bios if win 10 installer can see it, but it won't be bootable as its not at that point yet. It should be running off the ssd but its not finished yet, I don't know how it does it but its only after one of the later restarts that it actually has the boot files in the partition WBM would be pointed at.
Windows Boot Manager should be top of boot order. USB shouldn't be above it

If the system has the windows 10 BIOS or UEFI / Legacy.....

No need to change the boot order in these...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I hate this bug.

What has happened is windows 10 isn't fully installed, it has gotten to its 1st restart, and when its supposed to just boot off the hdd its gone, I don't know what I am doing, and stopped. So The hdd should still show up somewhere in the bios if win 10 installer can see it, but it won't be bootable as its not at that point yet. It should be running off the ssd but its not finished yet, I don't know how it does it but its only after one of the later restarts that it actually has the boot files in the partition WBM would be pointed at.
Windows Boot Manager should be top of boot order. USB shouldn't be above it

If the system has the windows 10 BIOS or UEFI / Legacy.....

No need to change the boot order in these newer computers. Please follow steps below:

1. Insert the USB drive into a USB port and then power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen.

3. At the boot menu, select the device under UEFI BOOT that matches your media type (USB drive)
https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...-Latitude-E5470-to-boot-from-USB/td-p/5145510

you shouldn't have to remove the USB at the first restart, windows should just boot off hdd

Solution