[SOLVED] HDD is not receiving power correctly.

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
I honestly dont know how else to describe it in the title. My issue is that the hdd isnt working as it should, im honestly still not sure if its the sata power cable from the psu or if its the hdd itself. Im honestly leaning towards the sata power cable, the sata data cable works just fine and windows detects it np. This happens everytime i boot it up and sometimes even while I am already using it and it just disconnects in the middle. In order for it to receive power, I literally have to unplug the power cable plug it back in. It works fine for several hours or less and then it disconnects the power to it. Also before I go any further, what I have is a WD black 4TB hdd, this is a replacement hdd, the first one wasnt being detected in the bios the first time, but was going through the same issue, I never tried disconnecting and reconnecting with the first one but it would have been the same issue. Thats another reason why i think its the power cable. But the thing is that it seems to work fine for my rgb fans and such. I have tried plugging in different plugs of the cable into the hdd but the result werent any different. What can be done to fix this? Would love any feedback on this, thank you for your time.

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
Ok so it has been a while, had a lot of things i was occupied with. Anyways, I did some testing and i tried using a different psu on the drive and the issue was the same, so I ruled out the psu as a potential issue. As suggested by Abhinav2005, I connected a different hdd and for added measure an ssd, and both connected immediately on connection. I shutdown and booted the pc and both were recognized both in bios and in windows like they are supposed to. So in the end I ruled out that the hdd is the issue.
edit: also just to reiterate, the hdd is a 4tb WD black with 256 cache, sata 6gb

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Wait, are you connecting these while the PC is running? Unless you have a hot swap mechanism, nothing should ever be connecting immediately on connection because the PC should be off and the power switch in the off position. That's a good way to kill a hard drive.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Ok so it has been a while, had a lot of things i was occupied with. Anyways, I did some testing and i tried using a different psu on the drive and the issue was the same, so I ruled out the psu as a potential issue. As suggested by Abhinav2005, I connected a different hdd and for added measure an ssd, and both connected immediately on connection. I shutdown and booted the pc and both were recognized both in bios and in windows like they are supposed to. So in the end I ruled out that the hdd is the issue.
edit: also just to reiterate, the hdd is a 4tb WD black with 256 cache, sata 6gb
Did you health check for your HDD?

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
Wait, are you connecting these while the PC is running? Unless you have a hot swap mechanism, nothing should ever be connecting immediately on connection because the PC should be off and the power switch in the off position. That's a good way to kill a hard drive.
Yes, my motherboard does have a hot plug feature on it which treats internal sata drives as external drives. also while on this part, I should mention after having done this for a while, the hdd does not power on from a cold boot, i have to unplug and replug the power for it to turn on and display the drive on the list of drives. Though i did notice that when i restart, most of the time it stays connected

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
Wired issue!
Anyway, have you tried to change SATA Port? Maybe the problem lies with SATA Port.
I have tried, both from hdd to mobo, though I feel that really doesnt apply to the issue since windows still detects the drive even though its not getting any power, but I tried it anyway, nothing changed. I changed to a different sata port on the psu, results are the same. Also tried it with another drive, it was connected and working from a cold boot.

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
ok so then, I went ahead and RMA'd for a new drive of the exact same model, 4 tb wd black (performance) with 256 cache. came in today and plugged it in and, lo and behold, its the same issue, so ive pretty much determined that my issue is not so much my particular drive but rather its the wd black as a whole. So this is my 3rd unit thats had this issue and it seems they are all like this for some reason which, i must say, is pretty stupid.

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
Ok so let me change and clear up a few things, Im thinking that the drives I had werent DOA, my previous testing, ironically enough, was only on one other pc which apparently had the same problem im assuming or something but I tried it on my friends pc, and the hdd works perfectly fine, no issues to speak of. Tested for about a couple days on it, and everything else fine. So then that being said, is there maybe some kind of compatibility issue with my motherboard or something? maybe some kind of setting thats making it act the way it does? anyone have any suggestions?