HDD is suddenly very slow

Nuclear51

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Help would be greatly appreciated with this, as I'm now missing out 30% extra speed for my HDD :/.
I need a solution on how I can get my HDD speeds from 125 mb/s to the 175mb/s I just had.

I've got Asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard.

I've tried getting the newest drivers on the manufacturer's website, put my SSD and HDD sata 3 plugs into the intel port, which there are two off, also there's two asrock media ports, but those are slower. When I had both S3 plugs into the Asrock ports, the HDD had a reading of 175mb/s up and down, but no longer. I had to switch port from the asrock one due to SSD being very slow at a speed of 256mb/s before placing the cable into the intel port, then I got a 0.5gb/sec.

Wtf is going on? How can I get the speed back to my HDD? It's a Seagate barracuda 1tb (ST1000DM010-2EP102), which has a theoretical speed of 150mb/s, but I've managed to get it up to 175mb/s..

HDD is almost brand new, in good health. Iit's also recently defragmented.

Jul 20, 2018
Hi,

First we should know what cause hard drive slow?

Please find what cause your hard drive slow and the following is for your reference :)

There are several reasons that can hold down the speed of your hard drive. The following are some of the issues that can slow down the speed of your hard drive.

1 Bad sectors are one of the major reasons for depreciating hard drive speed. The more bad sectors you have on your hard drive the slower it will get
2 Storage of several versions of the same file on the hard drive
3 Presence of viruses and malicious software on the hard drive is also a major reason for slowing down of hard drive speed
4 File fragmentation causes a drop in hard drive speed as well since fragments of a single file are scattered throughout the hard drive and can’t be accessed quickly

Nuclear51

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Thanks, but none of those would be the solution. As mentioned, it's in good condition (recently defragged and maintained).

It's related to SATA 3 controller/driver. I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this.

How full is the 1TB drive ?
Sata 3 is 3Gb/s The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.
that said, it doesn't mean it will perform that high.. have you run Crystaldiskmark on your drive to test it properly? ( https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/ )

Have your motherboard BIOS been updated to latest BIOS, I have seen numerous Bios updates to improve speed/compatibilities with SSD.

Nuclear51

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Ca 230gb is used of the 1tb. I can confirm I got 175mb/s w/r with the HDD, did a benchmark test with ATTO software.. This was in the ASmedia port.

Also, I'm using the latest BIOS (3.00) Beta from Asrock's website.