Question HDD issue potentially something else?

Jan 19, 2021
Recently I replaced my Seagate Barracuda 8TB HDD. I primarily use my PC for editing video and whilst exporting using Premiere pro, the process came to a halt and shortly afterwards I got BSOD'ed after that WIndows ran check disk on startup on my 8TB hard drive but this didn't solve the issue and in fact seemed to exacerbate things

I bought a replacement HDD and after two attempts managed to clone the old drive (albeit missing some files for some reason)

However the same issue is still apparent. I suppose it is possible that the replacement drive could have also been faulty but I'm inclined to think that it's something else The drive seems to be okay for a while then suddenly drop off. When rebooting after a drop off the drive often isn't seen by windows until a second reboot.

My system is running 32GB corsair ram, RTX 3080, Intel i9 9900 3,6ghz, System is installed on an SSD mounted to the MB which is an Aurus pro Wifi. Power supply is brand new Kolink 1250W

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

USAFRet

Titan
The drive is failing.
You can't clone from a failing drive. It will cease to read at some point.

I believe HDDSuperClone would make a better attempt, but you'll almost certainly still be missing some data.

You left it too long for a fully successful data transfer.

The same thing happening on the new drive might be just a case of the missing data.

Jan 19, 2021
would the missing data cause the new drive to act in this way? I mean for it to drop off and fail to appear in windows on the next boot up?

Strange thing is that with the original 8TB drive attached to a USB3 adaptor, that drive seems to be operating so far without incident

Jan 19, 2021
So I've swapped cables over and even done a clean install of Windows 10, updated BIOS and the drive still seems to dissapear and on boot up sometimes doesn't appear at all. My other hdd's a 3tb hdd and a 5tb hdd are both fine. Im left a bit confused as to why its only the 8TB drives that seem to have this issue unless the replacement drive was also faulty,