Question HDD issue

Feb 23, 2019
Basically I was trying to do an update for a game when my pc said I had no more storage! So then I realised everything was being saved onto my SSD instead of my HDD. I changed all the settings so that everything saves to the hdd now and proceeded to copy all my files onto my hdd so I could remove certain stuff on my ssd and free up the space, halfway through my computer got blue screen and stated it needed to restart to figure out a problem, I left it for 10 mins and came back to it still on the same message so I proceeded to then turn my pc off by holding the power button, what a mistake that was as when It powered back on I had a message stating the boot device was not found and that I had to reinstall a os. I then took my hdd out but upon taking it out I broke the sata port on the actual drive and it is literally completely ruined. I ordered another hdd and had the same error when putting it in my pc then starting it up so I was going to ask 2 questions:
  1. Is it possible that my os was saved onto my ssd as it was pre installed and I have no disk for it?
  2. Will simply just purchasing a new os fix it too as nothing of importance was saved onto that hdd (unless the os was on there)?
I have had problem after problem with this and I’m worried to do much more as I am not completely clued up when it comes to pc parts but I know a good amount.
Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long read!

I suspect the lay of the land looks like this: the OS is on the ssd which became corrupted which in turn gave the disk error. Then you broke the storage hdd . Now you have a new hdd.( If the OS is on the hdd, nothing turns on it, just read on).

I would install windows on the new drive being sure to disconnect (properly) the ssd first. Follow the steps outlined below to perform the install using a usb drive. Once the installation is complete, hook up the ssd and retrieve whatever data you can, storing it on the new drive or elsewhere. Format the ssd and see what you want to do from there.
----------------------------------------------------
Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost