Question HDD issues after PSU failure

Oct 26, 2022
Hi there,

I tried googling for solutions and using reddit but havent come across something similar.

My PSU failed a couple of days ago, i replaced it with an older 650w one. PC boots with windows but the E drive (HDD) is showing as empty and saying i need to format to use. BIOS recognizes it and so do windows but it shouldnt be empty.

part list below and screenshots for references.

disk-management.png
chkdsk.png
windows-error-popup1.png
diskpart-list-disk.png
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • ASRock B450 PRO4
  • Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA 3.5'' 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drives (ST2000DM008)
  • WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATAIII SSD, 250GB Read: 550MB/s; Write: 525MB/s (WDS250G2B0A)
  • MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR X 8GB
  • Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Thank you in advance.
P1

Oct 26, 2022
Clone your drive with HDDSuperClone and then recover your data from the clone with DMDE, if necessary.
Haven’t used this tool or method but it will clone the data even though it currently shows blank on the hdd?

Is there no way to get it back to its normal state at this point?

So I’d need another hdd or ssd they can fit the data then?

I'm not sure, but it appears that the NTFS metadata are affected by two bad clusters. That would explain why the file system won't mount.

If you examine the drive's SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo, I expect you will see pending sectors. These are bad sectors which have been queued for replacement with spares. Also check the reallocated and uncorrectable sector counts.

You can examine the NTFS metadata with DMDE.

In the Partitions window, d-click your NTFS volume. You should then see your file/folder tree. Just above the $Root are your metadata. You should see the metafiles in the RH pane.

R-click the RH pane and select "Volume - Mark Panel Files Only". Also tick the Extend folder. R-click the blank space and select Recover/Create File List. Your metafiles will then be copied to another drive of your choice. Your free version of DMDE is limited, so you may need to expand and copy the Extend folder in a second DMDE session. This procedure will test if your metafiles are readable.

Last edited:
Reactions: p1boxnow
Oct 26, 2022
I'm not sure, but it appears that the NTFS metadata are affected by two bad clusters. That would explain why the file system won't mount.

If you examine the drive's SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo, I expect you will see pending sectors. These are bad sectors which have been queued for replacement with spares. Also check the reallocated and uncorrectable sector counts.

You can examine the NTFS metadata with DMDE.

In the Partitions window, d-click your NTFS volume. You should then see your file/folder tree. Just above the $Root are your metadata. You should see the metafiles in the RH pane.

R-click the RH pane and select "Volume - Mark Panel Files Only". Also tick the Extend folder. R-click the blank space and select Recover/Create File List. Your metafiles will then be copied to another drive of your choice. Your free version of DMDE is limited, so you may need to expand and copy the Extend folder in a second DMDE session. This procedure will test if your metafiles are readable.

hi there,

yea, based on crystaldiskinfo.

2 bad sectors. https://postimg.cc/gLY25ZLX

I guess its time to clone to another HDD.

update:

Thank you.

After the diagnostic, i cloned the HDD to another HDD and it worked.

Using clonezilla.

Thank you for your insight.

Last edited: