[SOLVED] HDD keeps disappearing.

acsiman01

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Hey!
My HDD keeps disappearing when being used, most likely when I run a game that is installed on it. 5-10 minutes into gaming, the game just shuts down and when I open up My Computer it doesn't even show anymore. Rebooting doesn't solve the problem, even if I open up the BIOS when rebooting, it won't show up (it only shows my primary drive which is an SSD).
I've updated every driver, involving my BIOS.
What could be the problem? I thought of some cables are not properly connected, but if it had a contact issue it just wouldn't even show up when starting my computer up, this disappearing stuff is so messy.

I'm looking forward for your help, thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Specs:
CPU: Intel I5 8400
VGA: Geforce GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus B360-G
HDD: 2000GB WD SATA3 64MB Purple
PSU: 500W Chieftec 12cm
SSD - 240GB Kingston 2,5" V300

Last edited:
Solution
You can try another SATA power cable, and another SATA dat cable to a different port; if problems remain, the drive (worth $40-$45 today) is likely headed to the metals recycling bin..

Get a 1 TB Crucial MX500 and call it a day..? :)

acsiman01

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Can you show photo what kind of hdd you have?
I don't have a photo of mine, but it is a "2000GB WD SATA3 64MB Purple".

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Any error codes or warning corresponding to the times that the HDD disappears?

Also: update your post to present full hardware specs and OS.

Nothing in the Reliability History about the HDD disappering.
This is a screenshot of the Critical / Error logs from Event Viewer with some translation to it so you can understand it.
I've also edited my post so you can see my specs.

GudbhlJ.png

May 9, 2019
I advice check hard drive spin condition. Sounds spin smooth? And does it keep spin after power on 2 mins? Usual hard drive damaged disappear. Cause it has firmware problem or head damaged etc...

acsiman01

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019