[SOLVED] HDD LED won't Turn Off

richardmaxw

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

I have a new ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard in a Define R7 XL case. The hard drive LED won't turn off. The power LED behaves the same way. When I plug the computer into the power outlet, the LEDs turn on immediately.

I hooked up the positive wire to the lower-left pin in the system panel connector. I connected the negative wire to the pin immediately to the right of that. I followed the instructions in the manual, Page 1-26. Am I reading it correctly by assuming the positive wire should connect to Pin 1?

I tried two different LEDs (the one that came with my case as well as one off Amazon) but they both have the problem.

I also tried reversing the wire. When I do that, the light doesn’t work at all.

I also hooked up a multimeter to the wires and verified there is a constant positive charge on the positive wire, even when the computer is not turned on.

Has anyone been able to get the HDD LED to work on their Zenith Extreme or is it just my board that's having this issue?

I'm running the latest BIOS (1201 2020/10/28). I have a bunch of storage connected to the board (four M.2 SSDs, six SATA SSDs, and optical drive, and an LSI RAID card).

Thanks,

Rich

Reactions: xenthia
Solution
I connected them the way I said I did. I connected the positive wire to what the manual says is "Pin 1." It's kind of ambiguous, but could you click on the link I provided and see what you think? It appears to me that it's saying Pin 1 is positive. What do you think?

My first thought was that either there's a short somewhere, the manual is wrong, or I'm reading the manual incorrectly.
Unless we are looking at two different things or different pages on page 42 on your motherboard's manual yes it seems that the buttom-left two pins are for HDD activity and above those are power LED.
Tell you what, have you checked to see if the other switches on the motherboard are in their default positions and that during assembly you have not...

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

I have a new ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard in a Define R7 XL case. The hard drive LED won't turn off. The power LED behaves the same way. When I plug the computer into the power outlet, the LEDs turn on immediately.

I hooked up the positive wire to the lower-left pin in the system panel connector. I connected the negative wire to the pin immediately to the right of that. I followed the instructions in the manual, Page 1-26. Am I reading it correctly by assuming the positive wire should connect to Pin 1?

I tried two different LEDs (the one that came with my case as well as one off Amazon) but they both have the problem.

I also tried reversing the wire. When I do that, the light doesn’t work at all.

I also hooked up a multimeter to the wires and verified there is a constant positive charge on the positive wire, even when the computer is not turned on.

Has anyone been able to get the HDD LED to work on their Zenith Extreme or is it just my board that's having this issue?

I'm running the latest BIOS (1201 2020/10/28). I have a bunch of storage connected to the board (four M.2 SSDs, six SATA SSDs, and optical drive, and an LSI RAID card).

Thanks,

Rich
An LED lighting up is doing its job actually and is healthy, so to think that the LEDs may be damaged and yet lighting up would be very strange for normal light LEDs. And also considering that you used a multimeter on the pins and got constant voltage on them says that the LEDs are ok.

LEDs only work one way, they are Light Emitting Diodes after all, and diodes work one way and not the other way.

Are you totally sure you are connecting the LED that's supposed to be for HDD to the right pins?

richardmaxw

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
An LED lighting up is doing its job actually and is healthy, so to think that the LEDs may be damaged and yet lighting up would be very strange for normal light LEDs. And also considering that you used a multimeter on the pins and got constant voltage on them says that the LEDs are ok.

LEDs only work one way, they are Light Emitting Diodes after all, and diodes work one way and not the other way.

Are you totally sure you are connecting the LED that's supposed to be for HDD to the right pins?

I connected them the way I said I did. I connected the positive wire to what the manual says is "Pin 1." It's kind of ambiguous, but could you click on the link I provided and see what you think? It appears to me that it's saying Pin 1 is positive. What do you think?

My first thought was that either there's a short somewhere, the manual is wrong, or I'm reading the manual incorrectly.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012

Unless we are looking at two different things or different pages on page 42 on your motherboard's manual yes it seems that the buttom-left two pins are for HDD activity and above those are power LED.
Tell you what, have you checked to see if the other switches on the motherboard are in their default positions and that during assembly you have not changed them by accident?

Solution

richardmaxw

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
It turns out my RAID card has some pins for HDD activity. So, I could hook up the LED to those. But that would just give me the status for the HDDs and not the SSDs in my system. I'd also need to extend the wires to reach it.