[SOLVED] HDD loads, Windows error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockenman11

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
I recently moved my computer, and when it boots up, it used to go to “Select proper boot device”. I changed the boot order to hard drive first, now automatic repair for windows loads, but it fails and any of the options such as system restore fails. My hard disk drive is recognized as it loads windows and in the command prompt it showed the size and type of hard drive it is. My hard drive was working a second before I moved it, not sure why this happened. Is it hard drive related, or windows? How do I fix it?
Specs: 8gb ram ddr, i5 4440 cpu, 1tb HDD, gtx 1060.
https://ibb.co/x7pm2J5

Solution
Does it erase everything on the drive? I want to backup my files.
chkdsk = Check Disk for errors
/f = Fix errors
c:, e: = C: drive, E: drive

It's always possible that fixing errors may render some files corrupt and no longer usable. You should always have a backup at the ready. However, from the descriptions it looks like you have no option but to run the scan/repair without being able to first back things up.

rockenman11

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
Was the unit powered on when you moved it? Possible that even if off you moved it too soon (before drive spun down)?

Might try to reseat the RAM just in case something got jiggled loose.
When I moved the computer, it was a few seconds after promptly turning off via power button (I know I shouldn't have done that now), but when I moved it I was very careful, and I tried reseating the RAM, no fix.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To me it sounds like you didn't allow time for the HDD to spin down and likely damaged some sectors. I would try a reinstall to the drive. It may be working well enough to get to by till a new SSD (etc.) can be purchased but I am not 100% sure of a way to check it without either OS up and running or a dock and another computer to check it from.

rockenman11

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
To me it sounds like you didn't allow time for the HDD to spin down and likely damaged some sectors. I would try a reinstall to the drive. It may be working well enough to get to by till a new SSD (etc.) can be purchased but I am not 100% sure of a way to check it without either OS up and running or a dock and another computer to check it from.
How do I reinstall to the drive? I could get an USB to HDD 3.5 cable, if that would work. Also here’s CHKDSK if it changes anything. https://ibb.co/qdnXxjc

rockenman11

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
If I am reading that right it looks like your drive is fine but the files show corruption.
If you have your install media you might could try "repair".
I tried this download, but when I try any of the repair option settings from an 32gb install usb, it ends up with errors on some of the settings. I tried installing windows normally for the usb, but it ends up saying I need to insert usb when windows starts normally
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Does it erase everything on the drive? I want to backup my files.
chkdsk = Check Disk for errors
/f = Fix errors
c:, e: = C: drive, E: drive

It's always possible that fixing errors may render some files corrupt and no longer usable. You should always have a backup at the ready. However, from the descriptions it looks like you have no option but to run the scan/repair without being able to first back things up.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS