Question HDD low performance in crystaldiskmark

FangBlade

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
Today i done couple of crystaldiskmark tests and i noticed very low performance, hdd is new (wd black 10tb) ,could it be because disk is 78% full? I posted screenshots of empty drive and 78% full:
Crystal-Disk-Mark-20220310212428.png
Crystal-Disk-Mark-20220401133656.png

Drives give their best sequential performance when almost empty, and, performance does drop as there is a speed difference with data written towards inner tracks vs. outer tracks...

179 MB/ sec is not 'slow' for a drive which already has 7 TB of data on it....(you will not see 240 MB/sec sequential reads as a drive fills up, if you want to test it in it's best state, put your data elsewhere, quick format it, then retest with it in an essentially empty state.

Reactions: FangBlade and ~cw

FangBlade

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
Drives give their best sequential performance when almost empty, and, performance does drop as there is a speed difference with data written towards inner tracks vs. outer tracks...

179 MB/ sec is not 'slow' for a drive which already has 7 TB of data on it....(you will not see 240 MB/sec sequential reads as a drive fills up, if you want to test it in it's best state, put your data elsewhere, quick format it, then retest with it in an essentially empty state.
Thx for the information, i dind't know that HDD function like that, i thought it will always have same speed regardless of free space.