[SOLVED] HDD+M.2 or SSHD+M.2 or just M.2?

Solution
SSHDs are somewhat of a waste, no real reason to go with them.
M.2 is a form factor, Im assuming you meant NVME drives instead.

Depending on your budget and amount of storage you need a single NVME drive could be enough for just gaming.
I personally recommend HDDs for cheap bulk storage, but I also use my PC for things besides gaming that require bulk storage.

Additionally, something to consider: A typical gaming PC will never benefit from NVME class speeds when conventional SATA SSDs are already fast enough. You really only see your moneys worth regularly transferring large data files between two NVME drives.
If you can get an NVME drive for similar price to SATA, then thats fine (Intel 660p comes to mind), otherwise the money is...
SSHDs are somewhat of a waste, no real reason to go with them.
M.2 is a form factor, Im assuming you meant NVME drives instead.

Depending on your budget and amount of storage you need a single NVME drive could be enough for just gaming.
I personally recommend HDDs for cheap bulk storage, but I also use my PC for things besides gaming that require bulk storage.

Additionally, something to consider: A typical gaming PC will never benefit from NVME class speeds when conventional SATA SSDs are already fast enough. You really only see your moneys worth regularly transferring large data files between two NVME drives.
If you can get an NVME drive for similar price to SATA, then thats fine (Intel 660p comes to mind), otherwise the money is probably better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution
Ill endorse what gam3r01 says.

It is easy however to fill up even a 1TB drive with todays games and windows patches. I have 1.5TB and struggle for space. But I store other things like family photos and home movies and code archives on my machine.

The WD Blue has a nice SATA III SSD 2TB ssd for $224. I think intels 660p also has a 2tb option for around $240. The later is nvme. It is faster but on most games it will be a couple seconds difference at most for loads. Those 3000+ MB read speeds on nvme is only true if your data is in the SLC cache portion.

Ill endorse what gam3r01 says.

It is easy however to fill up even a 1TB drive with todays games and windows patches. I have 1.5TB and struggle for space. But I store other things like family photos and home movies and code archives on my machine.

The WD Blue has a nice SATA III SSD 2TB ssd for $224. I think intels 660p also has a 2tb option for around $240. The later is nvme. It is faster but on most games it will be a couple seconds difference at most for loads. Those 3000+ MB read speeds on nvme is only true if your data is in the SLC cache portion.
This is the exact reason the 660p is the exception to the NVME vs SATA rule, delivers reliable NVME performance at near SATA prices (last black friday you could get a 2TB 660p for 160).

Reactions: digitalgriffin