[SOLVED] HDD makes a sound as if its first time booting up when my pc has been turned on for a long time

Bugasboy

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
I have an SSD and HDD. My HDD is now around 5 years old.

My HDD makes a boot up sound as if its first time turning on and this happens randomly, it doesn't matter whether I'm playing games, idle, surfing the internet or anything.

The hdd always makes a boot up sound even though my PC has been on for a long duration of times.

I cannot record the sound as it is always random.

Is my HDD dying? should I remove it?

Solution
Is the sound any different to when you first turned it on 5 years ago? if not its fine mate

HDD's run like this especially nowdays because most people keep there important stuff on an SSD, the HDD will sleep when its not being used, i suspect something in windows it making it come to life every now and then, what do you have on it

bishopi5

Distinguished
Is the sound any different to when you first turned it on 5 years ago? if not its fine mate

HDD's run like this especially nowdays because most people keep there important stuff on an SSD, the HDD will sleep when its not being used, i suspect something in windows it making it come to life every now and then, what do you have on it

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugasboy
Solution

Bugasboy

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020

Hello! thank you for the answer. The sound is not any different when I turned it on five years ago, same sound until now.

I see so that's why. I don't know any terminologies for computers but like the ssd is my main storage and obviously the HDD one is just a secondary one.

The only thing I have in my HDD right now are clips from FPS games like, Valorant, CS:GO, and Rainbow six siege.

WIndows periodically does background file indexing, inventory of folders, etc...

Check CrystalDiskInfo, and if no yellow 'Caution' areas show up pertaining to the drive in question, I'd not worry about it!

( I have an empty formatted 1 TB laptop drive in a docking bay, and swear I hear bouts of periodic access!)

Bugasboy

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
WIndows periodically does background file indexing, inventory of folders, etc...

Check CrystalDiskInfo, and if no yellow 'Caution' areas show up pertaining to the drive in question, I'd not worry about it!

( I have an empty formatted 1 TB laptop drive in a docking bay, and swear I hear bouts of periodic access!)

Hello! Thank you, it says in the health status is good but for my SSD it is at 98% which is concerning because I only got this 58 days ago, literally not only months has past and it's at 98%?

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I have an SSD and HDD. My HDD is now around 5 years old.

My HDD makes a boot up sound as if its first time turning on and this happens randomly, it doesn't matter whether I'm playing games, idle, surfing the internet or anything.

The hdd always makes a boot up sound even though my PC has been on for a long duration of times.

I cannot record the sound as it is always random.

Is my HDD dying? should I remove it?
In your power management advanced settings you have the option to turn off your hard disk after a specified time, set to zero if you don't want this happening, although i do not see the harm in turning off an unused non os drive if not in use