[SOLVED] HDD makes loud noises and fails tests when connected via SATA but not when using an USB enclosure

Oct 22, 2022
Hi,

I've an old Seagte HDD 1TB which always worked on my older Windows PCs connected via SATA.

Now i have another computer (ASUS Z390) and get loud noises and slow speed when connected via SATA. I removed the HDD and put it into an USB 3 enclosure. Here the drive seems to work fine. I installed Seatools and tested both scenarios: Generic Test fails when on SATA but passes when on USB.

Any ideas what's going wrong here?

Oct 22, 2022
I found the issue with your help. Thank you very much. The drive simply doesn't get enough power. I have a power switch panel/module and too many drives on a single supply line.

That would definitely do it. That is why, whenever possible, we recommend using multiple power cables instead of chained connectors on one cable, to power graphics cards, drives, etc., when multiple connectors are required. Especially if it's not a really excellent PSU model.

Oct 22, 2022
That would definitely do it. That is why, whenever possible, we recommend using multiple power cables instead of chained connectors on one cable, to power graphics cards, drives, etc., when multiple connectors are required. Especially if it's not a really excellent PSU model.

The way the power switch panel (Lian Li SATA Power Switch BZ-H06A) is build allows for one in and three out. There is no way to switch a separate line for each switch. Very strange construction since such problems were very likely going to happen. Like in my case.