HDD Making Annoying, Strange "Clicking" Noises (Not "Click of Death" I Think)

WolfLeader116

Honorable
Jul 12, 2014
I've got an old HDD in my computer that is making some annoying noises when data is read. It is a quick, low clicking sound. Sometimes when reading specific data such as the "System Folder" or when some programs like MalwareBytes opens (other programs too, but that's one of them. It just seems to be specific places on the drive. Perhaps if it's got multiple platters, one of them causes the noise? I'm not an expert on hard drives, so I wouldn't know though...) it will make a bit higher pitched, very rapid clicking/grinding noise.

The HDD hasn't been in lots of use (I just mean the computer is on and in use by the average user. Not a server environment.) for about maybe 3 years? However it is old. About 5-7 years I think, so I'm not sure if it's just because it's an old drive and they make sounds like that, but I don't remember my other, very old computer doing it and none of my newer drives or computers do.

Is this HDD dying and I might start losing data soon? Because I haven't noticed any data loss and everything works, it's just loud.

I attempted to record it here: https://youtu.be/bNAbAZ9-rbU, but the sound quality is very bad and there are loud ambient fan/other HDD noises. I tried to do some editing to enhance the noise that I want, but I'm not very good with that. The first clip you will hear the data reading noise. It's hard to hear, so make sure your speakers are loud... Just listen for slight changes in the ambient, constant noises. Slight clicking sounds. The second is loud and easy to hear, but it's of the HDD during certain operations.

From what I've researched, it's not the "click of death" as it is not the right pitch of noise, but I am not sure.

Thank you!

WolfLeader116

Honorable
Jul 12, 2014

Ugh... I don't want to buy anything as I'm already running very low on money, but I'll probably go out and buy a new one... If I can get any more information on it, that'd be nice, but for now this is all I have...

WolfLeader116

Honorable
Jul 12, 2014

I'm going to try to get a better sound recording of the drive opening up the case and will reply with that, as I'm not sure how to compare it to that drive noise. It sounds like a mixture of the two different noises my drive makes.

If you listen to the second part of my video, you can clearly hear the odd noise that only happens on specific operations. That is what's concerning, but I just wanted to make sure about the regular operation drive noise too.

https://youtu.be/jYcIVDhDGUc There's a bit of a better recording of the noise. I'm beginning to think that this is probably just a normal high performance drive noise, although it is a WD Blue I think, which is not high performance, but rather just because it is old. The really loud noise is still definitely concerning however.