Question HDD making strange noise

sickistopfudu

Prominent
Jan 25, 2019
Recently bought a 3.5 inch 2tb seagate barracuda, and its begun making a strange whirring/beeping noise at regular 10 second intervals, i changed the sata cable it was using which solved the issue for around an hour before the sound came back.

anyone know what this could be??

Can you record a video of it, with sound, or an audio clip, and post it so that we can hear exactly what the noises are that it's making?

In the end, it's probably not normal and is something that likely means you need to RMA the drive, but it would be good to hear a sample of the behavior to be a little more educated before guessing.

Reactions: sickistopfudu

sickistopfudu

Prominent
Jan 25, 2019
Can you record a video of it, with sound, or an audio clip, and post it so that we can hear exactly what the noises are that it's making?

In the end, it's probably not normal and is something that likely means you need to RMA the drive, but it would be good to hear a sample of the behavior to be a little more educated before guessing.
You should be able to hear 2 during the video, ignore the click before hand as its me using my mouse to refresh crystaldiskinfo (which allows me to make the drive make the noise on cue) its the electrical chirping noise. i saw a video stating that this noise meant the drive was fine but is a common occurrence called "head parking" when idle, do you know if theres any validity to this??

audio:

View: https://imgur.com/a/UEWJuMU

Last edited:
Sorry man, even at full volume I can't hear over the sound of the system fans or whatever it is, well enough to hear clearly what is going on with the drive. I can barely hear something in the background that sounds like somebody is shaking a handful of change, but that's about it, and it's barely audible at that.

Maybe try connecting the drive to a different SATA header on the motherboard, or try another different drive.

Also, what are you full system specs? How long has this system been in use? Why was this drive recently installed, I assume, in place of another drive? What was wrong with that drive?

Reactions: sickistopfudu

visirav

BANNED
Feb 12, 2020
Normally, the storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damage or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are numbers of different hard drive clicking sounds with different reasons. Some type of clicking noise are due to software or driver issues, some of them due to hardware issues, and sometimes due to mechanical faults of the hard drive.

Most of the times there are 4 probable causes for clicking noise of a hard drive:

1. Insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive. It mostly happens when you have connected multiple devices (including the HDD) to a single port.
  2. Physical depreciation of the hard drive which results from either simple issues or damage such as a physical shock or trauma.
  3. A hard drive may be failed due to the faulty data cables, or incorrect drivers installed.
  4. A crashed hard drive.

If there is a noise, then you can try the subsequent fixes which people have used to overcome the issue:

1. Check whether the hard drive is getting enough power or not. You can do it by plugging the power adapter directly into the power supply.
  2. Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive. (Which I think you already tried)
  3. In case the drive still makes noises, then there is a high possibility the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

As you recently bought the drive then there must be some warranty period, I suggest you to contact the customer support team of the manufacturer & if possible get the replacement of the drive.

You can do it by plugging the power adapter directly into the power supply.

As compared to plugging it in.......where?

Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive. (Which I think you already tried)

So then why mention it?

Insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive.

In 30 years I've personally never seen insufficient power cause a hard drive to "make noise". I've definitely seen it cause problems and prevent them from operating normally, but I have never seen a hard drive become noisy due to a lack of power.

Physical depreciation of the hard drive which results from either simple issues

Can you offer an example of a "simple issue" that causes "physical depreciation"? And I think you mean physical degradation, not depreciation. Depreciation indicates a loss of value, not a loss of capability or performance.

sickistopfudu

Prominent
Jan 25, 2019
Sorry man, even at full volume I can't hear over the sound of the system fans or whatever it is, well enough to hear clearly what is going on with the drive. I can barely hear something in the background that sounds like somebody is shaking a handful of change, but that's about it, and it's barely audible at that.

Maybe try connecting the drive to a different SATA header on the motherboard, or try another different drive.

Also, what are you full system specs? How long has this system been in use? Why was this drive recently installed, I assume, in place of another drive? What was wrong with that drive?
Hey I think I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the drive head parking, when I change the apm settings for the drive to high performance using crystaldiskinfo the noise seems to subside. However would you be able to inform me if this head parking noise (every 10 sec or so) is excessive/damaging and warrants a RMA? Thanks

Any head parking noise that is overtly loud or repetitive, is indicative of a problem with the drive. If you have anything important on it, I'd get that important information or files backed up elsewhere immediately before the drive decides to fail. Then contact them to arrange a warranty replacement.

sickistopfudu

Prominent
Jan 25, 2019
Any head parking noise that is overtly loud or repetitive, is indicative of a problem with the drive. If you have anything important on it, I'd get that important information or files backed up elsewhere immediately before the drive decides to fail. Then contact them to arrange a warranty replacement.
Ok sounds good, thanks for the help

I've used and installed, and have, quite a few of those drives, the 2TB barracudas specifically, and none of them have exhibited head parking behavior or noisiness in that way, so I'd say that anything like that probably indicates a problem. I can pretty confidently say it's very unlikely that what you're hearing is anything you should be hearing.