HDD Memory Shrinking Windows 8.1

Lampokosa

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Hello, so about a week ago I noticed that my HDD memory had shrunken. I didn't download anything, I tried to uninstall a few games and nothing happened, it has the same size. And now it has shrunken even more. It's 24 GB left now. :/

Help, please?:)

Solution
When you install or uninstall something, or Windows Update...it creates a Restore Point.
Over time, this space expands to whatever percentage of the drive is designated. I've seen default settings at 50%. 250GB out of a 500GB drive...:(

Lowering that percentage just means old Restore points go away sooner as new ones are created.

USAFRet

Titan
My bet is System Restore points.

Find your System Restore settings, and see what that is set to.
Control Panel
System
System Protection
System Protection
Click on the relevant drive, and select Configure

It will show you current usage and Max use %

Lampokosa

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Hello, I have it activated, and the usage is at 40 GB and the Maximum use is 20% 90GB. What should I do? Decrease the usage or increase or remove the restore points?

USAFRet

Titan

If this is where your space is going (40GB), reduce it down to 5% or so.
How large is the drive in question?

Lampokosa

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

I couldn't reduce it down to 5% it said to I reduced it down to 14% instead. My total HDD is 450GB so 24 left only =/

Btw, how will this solve the problem? I didn't quite get it what it did. D=

USAFRet

Titan
When you install or uninstall something, or Windows Update...it creates a Restore Point.
Over time, this space expands to whatever percentage of the drive is designated. I've seen default settings at 50%. 250GB out of a 500GB drive...:(

Lowering that percentage just means old Restore points go away sooner as new ones are created.

Solution

Lampokosa

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Oh, okay. Thank you! :)

TRENDING THREADS