HDD Migration to SSD

s25robles

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I just cloned my HDD to my new SSD. Do I just delete everything I have installed on the HDD? If I do this am I still going to be able to use the HDD as storage? Or do I need to keep some files there for it to work

Solution
Hey there, s25robles.

First I'd recommend that you disconnect the HDD from the motherboard, just to make sure that everything is working properly (that the clone has been successful). If everything is OK and you've backed up any data which you might need from that HDD, then you can just reformat it so that you have a clean secondary storage drive. You don't need to keep any system files or partitions on it if the computer is working fine with just the SSD connected to the mobo.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, s25robles.

First I'd recommend that you disconnect the HDD from the motherboard, just to make sure that everything is working properly (that the clone has been successful). If everything is OK and you've backed up any data which you might need from that HDD, then you can just reformat it so that you have a clean secondary storage drive. You don't need to keep any system files or partitions on it if the computer is working fine with just the SSD connected to the mobo.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

s25robles

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I tried what you said and it worked, but the only thing that is annoying is that everytime i shutdown the pc and turn it back on, it stays at a screen that says "Checking Media Presence", " Media Present" and Start PXE over IPv4. after a while it boots up to the desktop. Any help?