HDD Mounting Problem

bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hello,
I have an SSD (Crucial M4 64GB) as my boot drive "C" running Windows 7 home edition and I have an HDD (WD Caviar Green 720GB) with a system image "D" and programs/files volume "E". I mounted "E" into "C" to try it out. It seems to have killed the HDD.

The drive is very unresponsive. I can set a volume to format and it makes no progress and eventually fails. I checked the connections and they are secure.

The system took forever to boot after the change so I got rid of the mount. Then, I have tried deleting both volumes on the drive and formatting them. So far I have only been able to delete the D volume, but not reformat. I tried using DISKPART from the my USB boot and I have tried doing it in device manager.

There is a partition and format utility built into windows 7.

Disconnect drives and see if you can if you can boot windows just of the SSD. If you can, power down and connect the drives one at a time. see if you can use windows disk management to change the drive letters back.

Failing that, experimentation may lead you to boot from the SSD if you can. The hot plug the drives to see if they show up and can have letters swapped.

Just hit Start and search for diskmgmt.msc and run it. from there you can do whatever you want to the drives. Remember do not mess with c: any more. c: should always be windows.

If you need more help, let me know.

bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I can still boot into windows via SSD (C). It is just my system image and the files partitions on the HDD. I have tried using disk management to format the partitions, but all I have been able to do is delete them.

bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I'm going to try using some diagnostic tools, but I think I might need to RMA it. I was able to get one partition formatted on a quick format overnight. Just now, I copied 500Kb from my SSD to it to see if it works and took a few minutes to transfer.