[SOLVED] HDD mounting without drive bay

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Hi! So, I'm buying a SATA Cable so I can use an old HDD to give me a little more room for storage, since I'm running out of space on my SSD, the problem is I have no drive bays available on the case, is it safe to tape the HDD to the bottom of the case? My case is a Nox Infinity Neon.

Thanks.

Solution
Any solution is better than tape:
  • The hdd screws have standardized threads, so you should find a flat area where you can drill holes for mounting.
  • Even a thin rope would hold better than tapes (forget shoe laces, you need something as double cow hitch)

Ralston18

Titan
Tape: no.

Eventually, generally sooner than later, the tape will dry out (heat) and/or the HDD will vibrate itself out of position.

Make and model HDD, capacity, how full?

How many drives are currently installed?

Any chance that you can fit in a new SSD? Faster, quieter, cooler, less power demand...

Does the following link show your case?

https://api.nox-xtreme.com/uploads/...43swde-nox_infinity_neon_product_sheet_en.pdf

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Tape: no.

Eventually, generally sooner than later, the tape will dry out (heat) and/or the HDD will vibrate itself out of position.

Make and model HDD, capacity, how full?

How many drives are currently installed?

Any chance that you can fit in a new SSD? Faster, quieter, cooler, less power demand...

Does the following link show your case?

https://api.nox-xtreme.com/uploads/...43swde-nox_infinity_neon_product_sheet_en.pdf
Thanks for the response!
Yes, that's my case.
There's currently a NVMe 240GB Toshiba RC100 running on dual boot, which unfortunately is getting out of space.
It's an old WD 80GB 7200RPM SATA I WD800JD, I'm only using it because I already have it, it seemed better to just get a new case later
I never touched it, because it came with a case that I bought but didn't use at all, so I don't know if it's full or not.
Unfortunately getting another SSD would be a little difficult for me right now, although a better idea for the future.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
So the case has two 2.5 inch drive bays and two 3.5 inch drive bays if I am reading the specs correctly.

Your NVMe is on the motherboard - correct?

So what else is installed in the case drive bays?

================

Also with regards to the NVMe what is taking up the space?

Have you done any housekeeping via Windows Disk Cleanup?

Not that you should immediately do that per se.

Key is to ensure that all data is backed up and proven to be recoverable and readable before such maintenance efforts.

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
So the case has two 2.5 inch drive bays and two 3.5 inch drive bays if I am reading the specs correctly.

Your NVMe is on the motherboard - correct?

So what else is installed in the case drive bays?

================

Also with regards to the NVMe what is taking up the space?

Have you done any housekeeping via Windows Disk Cleanup?

Not that you should immediately do that per se.

Key is to ensure that all data is backed up and proven to be recoverable and readable before such maintenance efforts.

Correct, my NVMe is on the motherboard.
It's probably the dual boot and some recordings that are taking up space, I haven't done any clean up, so I have copied some things to my pendrives, but I will need them in the future, so I need the HDD to get some files in there, and also use it to future files, and so k could give that HDD some use.
Nothing is installed in the drive bays.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Correct, my NVMe is on the motherboard.
It's probably the dual boot and some recordings that are taking up space, I haven't done any clean up, so I have copied some things to my pendrives, but I will need them in the future, so I need the HDD to get some files in there, and also use it to future files, and so k could give that HDD some use.
Nothing is installed in the drive bays.
Just buy another drive and install it in a drive bay or replace the 80GB drive with it.

I have actually used 3M double sided tape to secure a drive before with no problems.

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Just buy another drive and install it in a drive bay or replace the 80GB drive with it.

I have actually used 3M double sided tape to secure a drive before with no problems.
Buying another drive is not really an option, SATA cables are way cheaper.
I don't have drive bays, that's the problem, this is my first desktop, and I never touched that HDD, but I will see if I have any really strong tape I can use temporarily.

Edit: I just realized the drive bays are inside the compartiment where you put the PSU in.
KgcD7R.jpg

So after all, there's no need to tape anything.
Sorry for the confusion, it's my first desktop after all.

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • The hdd screws have standardized threads, so you should find a flat area where you can drill holes for mounting.
  • Even a thin rope would hold better than tapes (forget shoe laces, you need something as double cow hitch)

Solution

i76700hquser

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Unfortunately I don't have any tools I can use, I used the largest tape I had, though the HDD gets to temperatures 40ºC+, I may have to install more case fans as I only have one.

TRENDING THREADS