[SOLVED] HDD NAS, SAS, warrantees, used HDD sites

windking

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Hi,
Any thoughts on used HDD 8Tb up? Need 12Tb's but no $$!

Also, can you use NAS drives in Win10 desktops, without any hassles?

Also can you use SAS drives with appropriate adapter in desktops, without any hassles?

Lastly, which vendors have longest warrantees? This seems to be a confusing area, as some vendors require returns through vendors rather than direct svc. Perhaps Tom's should do a comparison chart by model to remove the confusion and guide us.

Best regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,
I wouldn't trust used HDDs to house my data.
It will be a good idea to post what you're trying to accomplish.

Yes, you could use NAS disks on Windows desktops as secondary (storage) disks... not as the main boot drive.

Also can you use SAS drives with appropriate adapter in desktops, without any hassles?
Yes, you could but if you are looking into savings, then I would not recommend SAS because of the price premium.

Lastly, which vendors have longest warrantees? This seems to be a confusing area, as some vendors require returns through vendors rather than direct svc.
What are...
Hi,
I wouldn't trust used HDDs to house my data.
It will be a good idea to post what you're trying to accomplish.

Yes, you could use NAS disks on Windows desktops as secondary (storage) disks... not as the main boot drive.

Yes, you could but if you are looking into savings, then I would not recommend SAS because of the price premium.

Lastly, which vendors have longest warrantees? This seems to be a confusing area, as some vendors require returns through vendors rather than direct svc.
What are you referring to: NAS HDD, SAS or used disks?

I have been using WD Red NAS disk on my NAS and desktops for years without any issues.
I started with several WD 1TB disks, then I started replacing them with 3TB and now I'm replacing those with WD 6TB disks.
I have yet to encounter a failure, so I have not take advantage of the 3-year warranty.

Solution
Internal 4 TB drives are about $100-$110, 6 TB drives roughly 50% more, etc...(that $~$26/TB cost continues up though about 10-12 TB, then costs start rising a bit more rapidly for the newer mega-monsters 14, 16 TB, etc...

As already mentioned, you can sometimes find external 8-10 TB drives for $100-$130 that can be shucked...; when it works, it's a great deal!

Last edited:

windking

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Internal 4 TB drives are about $100-$110, 6 TB drives roughly 50% more, etc...(that $~$26/TB cost continues up though about 10-12 TB, then costs start rising a bit more rapidly for the newer mega-monsters 14, 16 TB, etc...

As already mentioned, you can sometimes find external 8-10 TB drives for $100-$130 that can be shucked...; when it works, it's a great deal!

TRENDING THREADS