burgaz.umut

Prominent
Mar 23, 2018
Hello,

I have an external HDD ; Toshiba Store Canvio 2TB 3,5'' (hdwc120ew3j1). I haven't used it for quite a while, however it does not show up anywhere anymore. I always used it by connecting it to my Notebook (Windows 10 in one SSD and Ubuntu in a seperate HDD). There were only data files and so on inside.

+The HDD light is on, and it is turning inside the case (I can feel the vibrations, it's silent with the drive normally spinning ).
  • It does not show up on BIOS, Windows Disk Manager and under Ubuntu. No unrecognised drives inside the Disk Manager, nothing. It only shows the other 2 HDDs (inside the laptop). There is nothing else.
  • It does not show up with both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 sockets on the laptop.
  • It does not get detected on any other Notebooks I have at home (2 other laptops, different brands etc.)
  • It does not show up on Toshiba Diagnostics Tool.
  • I have used the same power cable, adaptor and usb cable with another external hdd and the other hdd works. Therefore, there is no problem with the cables and connections.
  • I have downloaded the Stellar Data Recovery Tool to check if it's detected there but it's not.
  • I have used fdisk, diskpart (list disk) etc. but it did not show up.
  • I have tried to open the system in both UEFI and then Legacy to check if the harddisk will be detected or not, however nothing happens. Again it was not detected anywhere.
  • I have closed Secure Boot and tried the above method as well, however it's not detected again.
What are my options here? I don't know what else to do to be honest. I haven't used this thing a lot so I can't understand the reason why it's not functioning well.

Thanks in advance!

burgaz.umut

Prominent
Mar 23, 2018
Did the hard drive get knocked over in the past?

If your drive sits vertical lay it horizontal. Yes it sounds stupid but we have one drive that refuses to show if it's vertical. Works just fine the other way.

I don't remember any physical damage happening to the hard drive. I just tried the vertical solution but unfortunatelly it did not work either.