[SOLVED] HDD no longer appearing after SSD install

Nov 4, 2019
Hey everyone,

I installed an SSD (860 SATA M.2) into my PC today, installed windows onto the SSD from a usb and the computer booted fine off that and has done since. But, my old HDD (Seagate Barracuda Green) which has all my data on it is no longer showing up in my BIOS or device manager.
I've checked my sata cable and switched it with another that was working and the HDD is vibrating slightly so I know it's getting power.
I've been through a lot of threads and my HDD was working fine before I installed the SSD. Anyway, i'll post my build below and thanks in advance for any help :- )

Intel Core i7 8700k
MSI Z370 Pro Carbon AC
Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 1TB
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB

Solution
First thing which comes to mind is which SATA ports have you tried? With some motherboards the installation of an M.2 SSD disables other SATA ports (usually a pair) and even a PCIe slot. I would cross reference with the motherboard manual to see whether this is the case for you.

EDIT: Should be disables either a couple of SATA ports or a PCIe slot. Again, motherboard dependent.
First thing which comes to mind is which SATA ports have you tried? With some motherboards the installation of an M.2 SSD disables other SATA ports (usually a pair) and even a PCIe slot. I would cross reference with the motherboard manual to see whether this is the case for you.

EDIT: Should be disables either a couple of SATA ports or a PCIe slot. Again, motherboard dependent.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS