Question HDD no longer recognized

Apr 10, 2019
Goodday ppl,

So I have been given this HP laptop to fix. The issue was that they wanted to install Windows 7 over windows 10.

There went something wrong with this, and now the whole HDD is wiped. By whole I mean that even the manufacturers installation partition is gone.

I have tried going into the X: drive called boot, and somewhere in the file system there is a recovery file repository, with drivers in them, like a lot of them. I have tried finding the drivers there, selecting all of them and reboot after every single one. To no avail.

I then tried to clone my own ssd with win7 on it, but this also didnt work, I got the message that no bootable disks were found.

Is there a way I can install the storage controller driver (I figured that is the one needed to recognize hdds) onto the mobo without an installation of windows?

Greatly appreciated!

Both Microsoft and PC manufacturers are intentionally making Windows 7 very difficult on new hardware, in order to save users from themselves.

That being said, the manufacturer should provide a tool that will load the driver for you, similar to this gigabyte tool search. If they don't provide one, you may be able to find one based on the south bridge it's using and see if other models support it and use that, but honestly - best to just convince them to use Win10.

Apr 10, 2019
Both Microsoft and PC manufacturers are intentionally making Windows 7 very difficult on new hardware, in order to save users from themselves.

That being said, the manufacturer should provide a tool that will load the driver for you, similar to this gigabyte tool search. If they don't provide one, you may be able to find one based on the south bridge it's using and see if other models support it and use that, but honestly - best to just convince them to use Win10.

Thabks, seems like a good try. Will try after work, will let you know!