Question HDD no longer shows up after PC updates (solved)

Jun 16, 2021
When I was making my PC recently, I had two different drives showing up in BIOS. An SSD and HDD (2.5".) Since I wanted to put windows on the SSD I unplugged the HDD and continued through setup with only the SSD plugged in. After a while I plugged the HDD back in and it no longer shows in BIOS or Windows, even though I can feel it vibrate. I tried different SATA ports in the motherboard and different SATA cables but it still won't show, can anyone help me figure out what happened? (I haven't tried putting it in another computer because I don't have another.)

Jun 16, 2021
List model names of:
motherboard,​
HDD,​
SSD model name, form factor (2.5"or M.2).​
Motherboard: MSI b450 gaming pro carbon max wifi
HDD: Not 100% sure since it was from a friend but im pretty sure its the Seagate samsung spinpoint m9t ST2000LM003 2tb 5400 rpm
SSD: 970 Evo Plus Samsung (nvme m.2)

Endre

Reputable
When I was making my PC recently, I had two different drives showing up in BIOS. An SSD and HDD (2.5".) Since I wanted to put windows on the SSD I unplugged the HDD and continued through setup with only the SSD plugged in. After a while I plugged the HDD back in and it no longer shows in BIOS or Windows, even though I can feel it vibrate. I tried different SATA ports in the motherboard and different SATA cables but it still won't show, can anyone help me figure out what happened? (I haven't tried putting it in another computer because I don't have another.)

Hello!
You could try the following steps:
  1. Turn off PC/ Remove cables.
  2. Open PC case/ Remove the BIOS battery/ Re-insert the BIOS battery after a few seconds (this step will reset the CMOS).
  3. Re-connect power cables/ Turn on the PC (see if the HDD is visible now).
Also, you could try replacing the SATA data cable and also the power cable of the HDD.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021
Hello!
You could try the following steps:
  1. Turn off PC/ Remove cables.
  2. Open PC case/ Remove the BIOS battery/ Re-insert the BIOS battery after a few seconds (this step will reset the CMOS).
  3. Re-connect power cables/ Turn on the PC (see if the HDD is visible now).
Also, you could try replacing the SATA data cable and also the power cable of the HDD.
actually i figured out the issue, placing the m.2 in slot 1 diasbles sata 5 & 6, so i moved it and it works now

Reactions: Endre