May 8, 2020
Recently my pc started to malfunction, I have been using it for 5yrs now. So the problem is with the HDD, its a WD Blue 1TB and I know that its dead (i have been hearing scratching and other signals of its death)

So I unpluged it and my pc dont give aby screen signal nor USB power (my mouse and keyboard dont work)

I tried removing CMOS battery as well as reseating RAM and nothing helped, so i want to know if that is normal for pc without any drive or is any other of my components faulty.

I already ordered new HDD but i want to know if i need to repair/replace any other component

Solution
Huh interesting, never heard incompatibility issues between a bios and hdd could cause this sort of mess. Still it's worth a shot. It's quite an easy and fast process sometimes necesary for example for an older mb to be compatible with newer cpu. Realistically only danger of updating/flashing bios is when you stop during the process for some reason (pc freeze or power shortage in ur house/neighborhood). That's why preferred option is to do it using fat32 formated usb drive in bios to scratch pc freeze danger danger and more paranoid ppl do it while connected to ups power supply.
What's your motherboard? Instructions on how to do it should be either in ur mb manual or on the manufacturer site online, huge chance you will be able to find...
May 8, 2020
So ur pc doesn't turn on at all or it does but shows only black no signal screen?

My pc turns on - all the fans (cpu, gpu, case and even case fans LEDs) but there is no signal to display and no power to any usb.

As I said i removed the only drive I had (because it died) so there is no Windows installed or anything and I just want to make sure that if I replace the drive and install windows my pc is going to work normally.

And thanks for quick response !

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Try getting to bios by mashing del, f2 or whichever the key is that you normally use as soon as you start the pc. Even if you can't I wouldn't panic, there is a chance that option like legacy usb support etc. is disabled and that's why you can't use ur peripherals untill you put in os install and use it's drivers to make them work.

May 8, 2020
Try getting to bios by mashing del, f2 or whichever the key is that you normally use as soon as you start the pc. Even if you can't I wouldn't panic, there is a chance that option like legacy usb support etc. is disabled and that's why you can't use ur peripherals untill you put in os install and use it's drivers to make them work.

Yeah, but there is a problem. I am unable to get to bios because:

1. My keyboard is not working at all

2. Even if i somehow could i couldnt see it cause there is no screen so i dont even see the fullscreen Gigabyte logo I used to see when my hdd was working.

Anyway, Thank You for all your help and quick responses I'll wait for new hdd and ssd to arrive, I am going to install them and we'll see :)

May 8, 2020
Ah yes, and also when I turn on my pc it sometimes get into boot loop and sometimes it dont, I dont have an idea why is that a thing

Sorry to mention it so late.

For example: I tried to turn it on right now to try and mash the del button to get to bios but all it did is just getting into endless boot loop.

May 8, 2020
So I got the ssd and hdd but that still doesnt change anything.
I dont know how am I supposed to install Windows 10 from USB drive. When I cant even press anything and I dont see ANYTHING on screen (the screen is powered but it shows no signal)
Please guys I need help with that and I am really worried about my pc.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Ok so regarding the windows usb install : here
Now more importantly, switch off the psu and carefully double check if you placed cmos battery back correctly. If that does nothing get a new one. Unfortunately only thing I can think of if that does nothing is dead motherboard, you can try checking the power connectors from psu to mb as a last stand. It could be you loosened up smthing while tinkering with battery/ram/hdd.

May 8, 2020
Right now I can get to bios by removing all ram then putting one in. After I reboot I can put all 4 ram and it still goes to bios, and it detects all 16GB of ram.

But if each time I want to use computer i will need to pull out all ram and then put it all in, then I will search for any solution.

Right now all I ask is can you please tell me if there is something wrong with my ram or with mobo ? Pls help

(EDIT)

So i have installed Windows 10 on my ssd and everything seems to be working great, but there is one giant problem, each time i want to restart my pc it:
- Gets stuck in a boot loop -or- Dont give any video/USB power

The only solution is to reseat ram or add one more, and then it boots up to bios telling that the bios has been reset, when i save and boot it works normally.
I read somewhere on the internet that BIOS Update seems to fix the problem, but also that updating BIOS is not the best thing and it can be kinda dangerous.
So I would be really glad if one of you could help me with this.

Last edited:

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Huh interesting, never heard incompatibility issues between a bios and hdd could cause this sort of mess. Still it's worth a shot. It's quite an easy and fast process sometimes necesary for example for an older mb to be compatible with newer cpu. Realistically only danger of updating/flashing bios is when you stop during the process for some reason (pc freeze or power shortage in ur house/neighborhood). That's why preferred option is to do it using fat32 formated usb drive in bios to scratch pc freeze danger danger and more paranoid ppl do it while connected to ups power supply.
What's your motherboard? Instructions on how to do it should be either in ur mb manual or on the manufacturer site online, huge chance you will be able to find tutorial for example on YT.

Solution