[SOLVED] HDD Noises?

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
Recently I got a new PSU and a new HDD because both of my previous components were old and my PSU was quite loud.

The new PSU is very silent and works perfectly but I have an odd question about my HDD.

The thing is, I can hear it. Whenever I open a folder on startup an application it would make a whining noise.

For example, when I start a movie in VLC and hold the Right arrow to go forward for a long time my HDD would make a continuous whirring noise as if something on the inside (the head I assume) is moving. It's a 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1TB. I'm just wondering if it's normal. I had it for a week and it seems to works fine and shows no errors with multiple scans.

The noises are silent and I can only hear them clearly when I'm within 2 feet of my PC.

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
The smart scan shows no issues.

GO4mSy7.png

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Ha, I just made a post about this yesterday. Is your drive by chance mounted right to the metal of your case?
Seems like the best thing you can do is to try and isolate it a little with rubber or something like that. Or get a SSD

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
Ha, I just made a post about this yesterday. Is your drive by chance mounted right to the metal of your case?
Seems like the best thing you can do is to try and isolate it a little with rubber or something like that. Or get a SSD

Yes, it is. My drive is installed directly at the bottom of my case and is touching the metal from 3 sides. I have an SSD.

The noise isn't bothering me, I'm just wondering if it's normal.

TRENDING THREADS