HDD not appearing in BIOS or WE

Stuart_21

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Hi,

I recently purchased a new 4tb Seagate Barracuda HDD as a drive to store recorded media and games on which I was going to optimise with my new 32gb optane drive, however it doesn't seem to be working, and I don't have much hope as to the health of the drive as on power up, the drive squeaks twice. It's not showing up in Bios or windows explorer, however, it is visible in disk management as "not initialised" but of course can't be initialised due to an I/O error.
Upon trying to fix the issue by following instructions on similar threads, the drive is invisible to tools such as diskpart. Strangely enough it IS visible to HDDScan however, when attempting to test it it only returns a blank slate. Ive tried swapping out the SATA cable and ensured it is receiving power and I've changed the SATA port it's connected to but to no avail.

Im pretty sure that it might just have to be replaced under warranty but being a bit of a novice in the area any help is greatly appreciated.

Im not sure it'll help but I'll list my specs below
MOBO: Asus Z270-A
CPU: i5-7600K @ 3.8ghz
GPU: Gigabyte OC 1060 6gb
Storage: 2tb Toshiba HDD, 120GB WD Green SSD, 240gb Kingston SSD
PSU: BeQuiet! Straight Power 10 600W

Any help is immensely appreciated,
Stuart

Stuart_21

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017

Just saw their support page and am downloading there bootable tool, thankyou for the prompt response.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I agree with your assessment. However, if it is not showing up in the bios it should not show up in disk management. I am not as familiar with UEFI bios as I am with the old ones. Your options are limited and so are the issues. 1. Bad cable, 2. Bad controller (highly unlikely since your other disks work), 3. defective device. The advicse USAFRet was excellent as well. These tools are not perfect either. But I do hope it helps you.

Stuart_21

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Upon running the SeaTool Bootable's Long Generic Test, it failed in less than a second and I received an error spam of "Error LBA: 0" all the way to "Error LBA: 49". While im unsure as to what they represent is it safe to assume that the drive is faulty?

Edit: Just ran the HDDScan Verify test and every block thus far (25000+ and indefinitely climbing) has returned bad. Time to call seagate I suppose!