HDD not available to use

Matttt

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Hello,

Just finished up my first build and almost everything went very smoothly. I have a 120GB SSD that I am using for Windows and a few other programs, but I also installed a Western Digital Green 1TB HDD to use for storage.

When accessing My Computer, I have the SSD, but no access to the WD HDD. I thought a connector might be bad, but the HDD is found in BIOS and under device management. Under device management, I see my SSD, as well as "WDS (letters/numbers) ATA Device", so it's there, I'm just not sure how to get access to it.

The drivers have been determined to be 'up to date' by Windows.

When I got to Disk Management, I see the C: drive as well as System Reserved, which I believe is a partition that windows made during installation, but nothing about the Western Digital.

Do I need to change the Device Description under properties or something?

Thank you!

Solution
I wouldn't use a WD Green drive in a PC maybe in a external enclosure. You can go into disk manager and click on the green drive and partition it if you want then format and assigns a drive letter then it should be good to go.
I wouldn't use a WD Green drive in a PC maybe in a external enclosure. You can go into disk manager and click on the green drive and partition it if you want then format and assigns a drive letter then it should be good to go.

Solution

Matttt

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Thank you for a reply.

Could you elaborate why you wouldn't use one? Seems like an odd comment.

As I said in my OP, the drive doesn't show up under disk manager, only device manager.

Sorry, well the green drives run at 5400 to 5900 RPM while the blue drive version runs at 7200 RPM. For the degraded performance you'll save about 25 cents a year. It's just not worth it they are ok for an external enclosure.

In the BIOS is you can see it, and in the device manager you can see it. But when you go into the drive manger you don't see it at all?

Matttt

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the clairifiation on your comment! I wasn't sure if it was just an opinion or if you had a reason.

You are correct, the drive appeared in BIOS and device manage, but not disk manager.

HOWEVER! I was using the computer and suddenly it wanted to restart. Comes back on, disk is magically there.

Mysterious ways, Microsoft. In any case, thank you for posting to help me out! I appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS