[SOLVED] HDD not being recognized by computer after BIOS update. Repair shop is telling me HDD is not working in another machine but I'm skeptical

Oct 8, 2021
I got pushed a BIOS update through my windows updater and without giving it much thought I decided to go through with it. The update went fine, but once the computer booted up I noticed it wasn't picking up a lot of my software. For reference, I have an SSD where my OS is stored, but I put most of my software in a separate HDD.

I went into BIOS and I noticed it's not picking up my HDD at all. I figured it was an issue with the installation so I decided to reflash my BIOS, but nothing (I even tried an older version). I tried resetting windows just for the hell of it but again, nothing. I dropped it off in a repair shop next to me because I was out of ideas, and the guy just generally didn't seem like he was following. They didn't do anything for two days, at which point I called them and I had to re-explain the issue, and the guy said he would test the HDD. Again, silence, and when I called in again he said he tested it and that the HDD wasn't working.

I'm slightly skeptical of them because they're not a very good repair shop and the guy just seems generally confused. If the HDD is dead it's just a case of replacing which I don't mind, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a BIOS update would just kill a HDD like that. Has that ever been heard of? I want to proceed with the replacement but I'm really afraid of finding out down the road that the HDD was fine all along and it was just a BIOS/software issue. Any thoughts?

In case it's relevant, the machine is an ASUS GM501GS laptop, which updated to BIOS version 317.

Solution
I got pushed a BIOS update through my windows updater and without giving it much thought I decided to go through with it. The update went fine, but once the computer booted up I noticed it wasn't picking up a lot of my software. For reference, I have an SSD where my OS is stored, but I put most of my software in a separate HDD.

I went into BIOS and I noticed it's not picking up my HDD at all. I figured it was an issue with the installation so I decided to reflash my BIOS, but nothing (I even tried an older version). I tried resetting windows just for the hell of it but again, nothing. I dropped it off in a repair shop next to me because I was out of ideas, and the guy just generally didn't seem like he was following. They didn't do...

I went into BIOS and I noticed it's not picking up my HDD at all. I figured it was an issue with the installation so I decided to reflash my BIOS, but nothing (I even tried an older version). I tried resetting windows just for the hell of it but again, nothing. I dropped it off in a repair shop next to me because I was out of ideas, and the guy just generally didn't seem like he was following. They didn't do anything for two days, at which point I called them and I had to re-explain the issue, and the guy said he would test the HDD. Again, silence, and when I called in again he said he tested it and that the HDD wasn't working.

I'm slightly skeptical of them because they're not a very good repair shop and the guy just seems generally confused. If the HDD is dead it's just a case of replacing which I don't mind, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a BIOS update would just kill a HDD like that. Has that ever been heard of? I want to proceed with the replacement but I'm really afraid of finding out down the road that the HDD was fine all along and it was just a BIOS/software issue. Any thoughts?

In case it's relevant, the machine is an ASUS GM501GS laptop, which updated to BIOS version 317.
Put a different hdd in the laptop and see what the bios thinks of that disk.

Solution