HDD not being recognized in file explorer

KennyGsmooth16

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
So, I have a 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm drive that I bought about two years ago. It once served as the drive that held my OS (windows 8). However, now I have upgraded to an SSD. So, I wiped the old 1TB drive and used it to store my Steam games. Well, I recently picked up a hard drive dock so I could hot swap different hard drives without having to open up my computer. When I plug the hard drive into the dock, it spins up, but it doesn't show up in my file explorer. I want to be able to launch games from it, so this is a problem. It's only showing up under devices when I go to the control panel. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kolocal

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

I have the same issue, but it shows up when I do device manager.

KennyGsmooth16

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

So, funny story. I solved the issue! I feel like a total idiot, hah. I thought to myself, man, the hard drive sure seems awfully quite when I turn the dock on. Well, I found out that the hard drive wasn't seeding itself into the dock right. I gave it a nudge, and I heard it spin up. The device I was seeing in devices was the dock itself, not the hard drive. So, I figured out the problem. Thanks for the help anyways!

TRENDING THREADS