Question HDD (not boot device) disappears a few minutes after boot ?

Jun 5, 2021
Rows only refers to SATA and power cable sets.

SDD is in the top row on my PC and is my boot device as confirmed by BIOS and Windows, HDD 1 is in the middle, HDD 2 is in the bot. HDD 1 was doing this same thing months ago, so I assumed it was broken and took it out and switched HDD 2 to the middle. HDD 1 was 10 years old at this point, HDD 2 is only 4 years old. Now HDD 2 is having the same issue, but switching it back to the bottom set of cables doesnt fix it, despite the bottom cables and that drive never having this issue until the switch.

HDD 2 is available in Windows for a minute or so after I boot up, then disappears and cant be found anywhere even in disk manager.

HDD 2 also works fine if connected as an external harddrive with a SATA to USB converter Ive got.

Any help would be appreciated as Google just keeps saying to switch cables/connectors.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU? How old is the PSU in your build? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? What OS version are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? Ideally you should be on version 21H1.

Jun 5, 2021
Make and model of your PSU? No idea, how do I check?

How old is the PSU in your build? No idea, but the PC is 5 years old at max I think, how do I check?

Make and model of your motherboard? No idea, how do I check?

BIOS version for said motherboard? No idea, how do I check?

What OS version are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? Windows 10 yes.

Ideally you should be on version 21H1. No idea, how do I check?

Sorry for not knowing all this, I am not much of a PC guy, someone else made it for me years ago.