[SOLVED] HDD not detected but still working

Jul 4, 2020
Hello,

I've a problem with my HDD (Seagate) for a week now, it is no longer detected by my computer (under Windows 10), so I can't boot it. This problem happened suddenly after a reboot when everything was working very well until then. At boot time the system sends me immediately to the rescue interface, from this interface I could access a command prompt and using the command "diskpart" then "list disk" the system doesn't find any disk: "There is no disks to show".

I immediately thought that my HDD must be dead but when I started the computer I could hear it running normally and by checking with a USB adapter it turns out that the HDD is working very well and its content is intact. I then thought of a problem with a defective cable but it doesn't come from the cable either. What is even more surprising is that the disk is well detected by the BIOS which displays it in the SATA 1 slot! Moreover, if I'm not talking nonsense, the fact that I have access to this backup interface doesn't make sense if the only disk I have is dead.

I really don't understand where the problem can come from, knowing that on the hardware side there seems to be no problem at all.

Do you have any idea? Thanks

Jul 4, 2020
Thanks for your help.

First of all when running command prompt from Windows Install Media on the USB flash drive and doing "diskpart, list disk" it correctly show the HDD which is not the case when doing it on the main system.

When I run startup repair from the USB it shows :

"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

By looking into this log file I found 2 information which are :

"Number of initial causes: 1"

and

"Root cause found:
---------------------------
A recently serviced boot binary is corrupt."

Is it possible that it is due to a recent windows or software update ?