Question HDD not detected in UEFI/Disk Manager/anywhere after restarts.

Lianri

Commendable
Jun 13, 2018
Hi!

We've had problems of the HDD suddenly not being detected anymore before, but it hasn't happened in years after fixing it once.

The HDD stopped being detected anywhere after restarting multiple times and hard shutting down the laptop (Acer Aspire E5 576G) to try and fix another issue we were experiencing before.

What we've tried: Plugging it out and in again, restarting, checking the UEFI for messed up settings, uninstalling/reinstalling the ATA controller drivers (Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, and a few more miscellaneous things with no real correlation we read on some other forums posts from years ago (MemDiag, revert win update, etc.)

Do any of you have a clue what this could be? The laptop has a flawlessly working SSD off of which Win10 is and has been booting and a 1TB HDD as storage (the problem).

Thanks in advance!

P.s. The problem we were trying to fix before was the intermittent death of a few buttons on the keyboard. At first, the D key would cease working and suddenly fix itself after random amounts of time, now the W key and 2 key don't work, but the D key does. I'm confused as the keys that stop working aren't on the same row/column of the keyboard's circuitry, so my guess is a faulty connector, but I'm currently not there to help take apart the laptop to reconnect the keyboard or replace it with a new one. Just adding this for extra information.

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you currently working with? You might need to also check and see which BIOS version you're currently on and if you have any BIOS updates pending. To add, you can try and take the problematic HDD to a donor system and plug it off a dock/caddy or the internal SATA and data ports to see if the drive is detected there.

If the drive is functional there, it's possible that your laptop needs an OS reinstall and the drivers installed manually.

Lianri

Commendable
Jun 13, 2018
WIn10 Home Ver. 1909, Build 18363.1016

I actually do (Edit: NOT. I knew I did that the last time I had a similar issue) have a BIOS update pending, unsure of how that escaped my mind earlier.
Sadly don't currently have a donor system available anywhere in this household, only the one.

Last edited: