Question HDD not detected on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2020
So i just switched cases and now im using the Lian Li dynamic XL. It has HDD hubs where you just slot the hdd in and it attaches to the sata cables at the back. The thing is the hdd doesnt boot when i start the pc. However if i pull the hdd out and then slot it back in it works. So that means that i didnt make a mistake with the cables im thinking, i looked over it and it should be set.

Im getting code A2 on my motherboard as bios screen shows and it stays on it for quite a while before actually booting. This is related to the HDD for sure i just dont know why.
I just tried unplugging the hdd and the pc boots without issues.
The OS is on the M.2.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
Are those ports now marked as hot-swap in the bios?
Im not sure what you mean, how can i check that?
The thing is the hdd doesnt even show up in the bios.

I checked the hdd for errors with Hard Disk Sentinel and it comes out clean, it says that its working correctly and that its in perfect condition.
I will try plugging the hdd the way i plugged it in my old case, so not using the storage hubs that this case has.
I did remove the middle hub to make more room for cables and then i moved the top hub down into the middle slot, i dont think this matters because why would it but eh.
Dont ask why i didnt just remove the top one and keep the middle one, it was a process lets just say.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
I fixed the issue. While im not 100% sure it seems that the SATA cable was faulty. Switched to a different one and now it works without issues. Its weird how it would detect the hdd when i unplugged and then plugged it back in. Its also weird how the SATA cable worked for everything else (commander pro, aio etc) but not for the hdd. But whatever im not going to dwell on it, PC's dont make sense a lot of the time i know that now.

Feb 24, 2020
Alright so unfortunately the issue is still present. I googled around and found that it may have something to do with some devices that are plugged in when booting. I thought that was it because when i removed my headset and xbox controller it booted without issues a couple of times. However now im getting code A2 without any devices connected at all and the hdd doesnt boot, same as before.
Its seemingly random, sometimes it boots other times it doesnt.

Code A2 is talked about plenty on the various forums but i cant find any actual solutions.

Anyone?

Feb 24, 2020
Lets eliminate the cases drive bays as the issue; remove the drive and plug power & sata directly to the drive and see if the problem still exists.
I actually reinstalled Windows and its possible that it fixed it. I think the issue was caused by me not having the hdd plugged in when i installed Windows the first time, this time i made sure that everything was plugged in from the get go, hdd, headset, xbox controller everything. I havent had the A2 issue since doing this so hopefully its all good now.
I will mark this as solved in a day or two when i know for sure that the issue wont be coming back.

Feb 24, 2020
Thanks for the update!

Alright so it happend again. Sigh...
I disconnected the hdd and hit the power button, no issues.
I then removed the hdd from the drive bay completely and connected it on its own, booted no problem. Thats just once though, i will test it a couple more times later today.

If it is the drive bays then that would mean that both are bad which is just... unlikely?
Maybe i made i mistake somewhere with the cables or maybe the hdd needs to be connected directly through its own sata cable and not through an extension sata cable i really dont know. If it turns out that im not having the issue having the hdd connected directly then i will just remove the the drive bay plate that has the cables attached to it and have the hdd connected directly while still kind of using the bay. Otherwise im not sure where i would put the hdd if not in the drive bay, i have no room after i installed a commander pro in there.
Btw i just came home and booted the pc without the issue showing up, so thats two successful boots.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
I'd contact Lian and see what they suggest once its determined to actually be the bays or the backplane.
Yeah i might do that if getting through to their customer support isnt too complicated. I really hate having to return things though especially the case because i would have to remove everything and then rebuild the pc for the 4th time (!!). Sure its lame that i cant use the bays as intended but i can deal with it, the case is great otherwise, got a total of 10 fans in there its a beauty.

I have restarted (as well as turned it off completely and then turned on) the pc probably a good 10-20 times today and i havent gotten the error once. I think its safe to say that for whatever reason the hdd being connected through the drive bays is what causes the issue.
I will give it at least two days though because im done thinking its all good and then having my hopes crushed when this thing decides to mess with me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.