HDD not detected while SSD is plugged in

HallmetW

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hey all

My problem is that when my Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD is plugged in, my HDD is not being detected, not even in BIOS. But if I take the SSD out, it is being detected.
I've tried swapping the M.2 slots, swapping SATA ports, referring to the manual etc.
My motherboard is a MSI Z270 Gaming M5.
I have also tried formatting the HDD with a Windows Installation USB. I've also connected that HDD to another PC with an HDD and it was being detected on there. Somehow, I believe the SSD is disabling the SATA ports but I've looked at the manual to see which ones would be disabled and even if I plugged the HDD in in the ones that aren't disabled, it still isn't being detected. I've tried everything I know but I'm running out of options.

I hope that you can help me because it is really irritating to work with such a low amount of storage.
Thank you.

Solution
Your SSD fits into a mobo M2 socket, and is not of the "PCIe" type. See your mobo manual on p. 33 - special attention to the table at the bottom, the second-last and fourth-last columns. When you mount your SSD in one of the mobo M2 sockets, that DISables a specific SATA port. IF the SSD is in the M2_1 socket (with the other socket unused), then SATA Port 1 is disabled. Alternatively, if the SSD unit is in the M2_2 socket, SATA Port 5 is disabled.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your SSD fits into a mobo M2 socket, and is not of the "PCIe" type. See your mobo manual on p. 33 - special attention to the table at the bottom, the second-last and fourth-last columns. When you mount your SSD in one of the mobo M2 sockets, that DISables a specific SATA port. IF the SSD is in the M2_1 socket (with the other socket unused), then SATA Port 1 is disabled. Alternatively, if the SSD unit is in the M2_2 socket, SATA Port 5 is disabled.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS