HDD not detected (

todeshund

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Sorry if this is a very long post, but I want to be as detailed as possible. Forgive me if the english is bad, it is not my mother tongue.. Here I go:

I have a 2.5" seagate harddisk (lets call this HDD-1) which originally came in an external enclosure (now HDD-1 is outside of the casing) that was working fine and very suddenly died on me. It happened while in the process of copying files from internal laptop to the HDD-1, and i was not attempting to format it or anything weird.

Tested on a desktop PC & notebook, in the OS mode (win 8.1) the HDD-1 is not detected from "USB+casing" or even when it is connected by "SATA+no casing". When booting into BIOS sometimes HDD-1 would be detect while "SATA+no casing", but as soon as I try to boot into bootcd like hiren's, the HDD-1 is no longer detected/available.

I thought that it was the pcb that was broken, and happens to have a spare identical 2.5" seagate hdd (lets call this HDD-2), so I tried moving the pcb from HDD-2 to HDD-1, but afterwards it still will not read.

The weird thing is, the HDD-2, with the pcb from the "broken" HDD-1, will operate and read normally. HDD-2 will of course work with its own original pcb as well.

HDD-1(BROKEN)
MODEL: ST1000LM024
HDD P/N: HN-M101MBB/AV1
REVISION: REV.A
F/W: 2AR20003
S/N: S2ZPJ9ED621087

PCB #: WC REV.6 20130517 U4B 1F38

HDD-2(WORKING)
MODEL: ST1000LM024
HDD P/N: HN-M101MBB/AV1
REVISION: REV.A
F/W: 2AR20003
S/N: S2ZPJ9ED621518

PCB #: WC REV.6 20130516 U3A 01HM

Warranty is void on both HDD-1 and HDD-2 because i take both out of the USB casings of each. Don't really mind that much if HDD is broken and cannot fix, I think data inside is possible more importance.

I'm not sure if there is data on HDD-1 that is quite important, so I am confused whether will take to a recovery expert technician. This will be last option.

It would help a lot even if i could just see a list off all names of files & folders. This is so I can decide if worth to take for expensive data recovery or not. Want to make sure I have exhausted all possibilities which I can remedy myself before taking the HDD-1 to a pro, bacause in my country, this service is very expensive and many tech will try to get as much money from you.

thankyou in advance, very grateful for any ideas.

what is wrong

Hi there todeshund!

If you already try all solution that you can do by yourself like swapping pcb from hd-1 to hd-2. But the results still -FAILED- it's means your hd have an internal failure, did you notice some clicking sound or beeps from your broken hdd?
Do you have an adequate power to power your drive? Usb 5V DC - SATA 5vdc + 12vdc
and try to touch your broken hd pcb (try it with plugged hdd and keep it plugged for 1 to 2 hours, plug only the power source sata plug)
and do you feel any heat comes from it?

todeshund

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Hi there!

I suspect there is an internal failure, but the "broken" HDD-1 does spin up fine, no clicking sound, no beeping sound, it just spins up as it would normally do, the only difference in sound compared to the "healthy" HDD-2 is that there is no "burring/burping" (head seeking) sound that the HDD-2 makes.

Yes, power should be normal, I test on 3 different PC/laptop, and HDD-2 works OK.

The PCB-1 and PCB-2 is working fine because using either PCB on the HDD-2 will result in normal function of HDD-2.

All PCB-1 & PCB-2 and HDD-1 & HDD-2 is warm to touch when plugged in for a while.

thanks for the reply

todeshund

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Reading that makes me sad :(
I have 6 more of these drives, but all still inside original USB casing (3yr warranty still valid).

I really hope I could at least read the contents inside the broken HDD-1, so I can decide to just throw away or if important enough to pay for data recovery service...

thanks for your reply..

You got an abnormal head seeking sound.
You can check the pin connector under your broken hdd, this connector connects the internal pcb, head, and motor into the external pcb.
Check for any bended pin and clean it if possible
and i hope it works :)