Question HDD not recognised after power cut but still working

mmccreesh1

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hi,

I'm having a strange issue. I have an Optiplex 7020 that I use for my security cameras. It has a SSD which is running the OS and an 8TB HDD for storing the footage.

Today the power went off briefly and when the computer started up again, it could no longer see the HDD (just wasn't showing up at all in Disk Management). I reseated the connectors etc. and it still didn't work. However, it showed up in BIOS a few times and then didn't show up anymore. So I took it out and connected it to a different computer and it worked fine (no strange noises, showed all the files, passed SMART etc.).

There is only one SATA power cable coming from the power supply so I can't try a different one. I did try a a different SATA data port on the computer but that didn't work.

What should my next steps be to try and fix this?

Thanks

You still don't know for sure it's actually the hdd itself being the issue. Next step would be connecting the hdd into another computer or use a hdd enclosure.

Before that, you may test the hdd on other sata ports on the mainboard (if available), but several physical sata ports may be controlled by one common chip now defect.

Reactions: mmccreesh1

mmccreesh1

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
You still don't know for sure it's actually the hdd itself being the issue. Next step would be connecting the hdd into another computer or use a hdd enclosure.

Before that, you may test the hdd on other sata ports on the mainboard (if available), but several physical sata ports may be controlled by one common chip now defect.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah I have connected the HDD to another computer and it is working fine. I can access all the files.

Yes there is one other available SATA data port on the mainboard but it still behaves the same.

Would there be any chance the SATA power is not being supplied by the PSU?

TRENDING THREADS