Question HDD not recognised in Windows but seen in BIOS

Jun 27, 2022
I recently built a PC for my girlfriend and have had several issues with it but it is up and running now. The only problem left is the 4 TB HDD is not being recognised in the file explorer or device manager in windows. I went into the bios to see if its recognised there and it is under SATA so as far as I can tell all is well there.

One of the bigger problems we had was the CPU wasn't compatible with the BIOS version the motherboard came with so we had to flash it from version 1 or there abouts to 15a, in doing this we got the system to work but I haven't updated the motherboard drivers. Working in BIOS freaks me out a bit as I don't want to brick it and I can't find any solid information of how I go about updating the drivers or if they really might be the problem.

Most the drivers seem straight forward but specifically the SATA drivers are quite a bit more involved with a pre-installation (not entirely sure what this means).

SPECS:
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600G
MOBO - B550m DS3H AC
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3.5in

Also its currently got the OS installed on an M.2 SSD which worked with no issues.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
The motherboard "drivers" is the firmware, the BIOS you flashed. The SATA drivers you install in Windows. And don't forget the chipset drivers.
Since it is a new harddrive I assume, it will not have any partitions or drive letters. Press Windows-key+R and type diskmgmt.msc
That is Windows own disk management interface. Find the drive, partition it if you want and format it with NTFS if you are using it for Windows. Linux uses other filesystems.

If you can't see the disk in disk management, I don't know what to tell you. Check the cables?

Last edited: