HDD Not Recognized by Windows

pontiactaylor110ce

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hi,

I have a HDD that I am trying to retrieve the data from. This hard drive has Windows 8 installed on it. I removed it from the original computer because it won't boot. When I power on the original PC with this Windows 8 HDD in it, it automatically starts "Startup Repair." After a minute, it says "The drive where Windows is installed is locked, please unlock drive to continue." Or something similar to that. I've tried fixes that I have found online, but nothing has worked; so I am just setting out to get the data off of it.

I installed this same hard drive in my Windows 10 desktop and you can hear it power on, but it doesn't show up in "This PC" or in disk management. I am not wanting to boot from this drive, just retrieve the data from it so I can do a fresh install of Windows.

Any advice on how to retrieve the data from this drive?

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
What are the specs for this HD? And, was Windows EFS in play before all this happened? BitLocker? Is this a WD Passport or similar HD? Such WDs use DriveLock with or without a password -- on-board/circuit-level encryption is in play whenever that kind of WD HD is in play.

pontiactaylor110ce

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

It is a Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5" hard drive. Not sure about EFS, but i'm assuming it wasn't. This HDD was pulled from a HP desktop PC running Windows 8