HDD not recognized in BIOS

To_War_We_Go

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
I just put my computer together, and am using my dads 8 year 2tb hdd, which has vista installed. It booted fine, but vista demanded a startup search or whatever because of the new parts connected to it. It went through identifying a problem, then "fixed it", then automatically restarted. When it restarted I started to get from the BIOS a message saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". When I went into the BIOS menu the HDD was not showing up. I am getting a ssd soon, but still want to use the 2tb of space.

Solution
plug it into a working PC and try to get your data there
or try booting with ubuntu live
maybe it´s recognized

btw.: always backup data

To_War_We_Go

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

The only reason I booted it using vista was so I could take data off to install windows 10, but now I can't take data off because it isn't recognised, there are something's on there that my dad really wants to keep like photos

in the bios make sure the sata ports set to achi mode or ide...start with ide for windows that old. when it boots again and crashes reboot hit f8 go into safe mode. remove all of the drivers in windows device manager then reboot. have the mb driver cd to install the newest drivers for the mb.

Hi there To_War_We_Go,

So, this 2 TB drive is the only one in your system right? It's expected that it won't boot, but I don't see why it wouldn't be recognized by BIOS.
I would agree with helpstar. You can attach the drive as a secondary to another, working machine. If you can't access it right away, you will need to use some data recovery tool in order to retrieve the data.

Let us know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)